Homelab/Gaming "Server" OS recommendations

Hello!
I have built a computer using parts that were given to me, It is my second PC and I would like to use it as a homelab as well as have it be able to play games occasionally when friends are over. Some of the things I want to do with the home lab are, run a NAS, run game servers, Have a repository of my blu-rays and dvds, as well as some music.
I have briefly used plex and I think I want to try another solution.
I am wondering about using docker to create a temporary environment to play games so I can easily open and close it when needed?

Any advice or thoughts are welcome. I am mainly looking for what Operating system to use as a base to do all of these things. Thank you!

Specs: threadripper 1900x, 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws ddr4 2400, EVGA! 1080FTW, X399 Taichi, SilverStone StriderGold 1200W gold.

I am running Debian on my “normal” device and Alpine-Linux on the SBCs.

I’ve seen this done done before using Proxmox. I hope Wendell doesn’t mind, as they know each other and seem to be on friendly terms, but, Jeff over at Craft Computing on YT has done a full tutorial on the matter if you want to check that out.

1 Like

I recommend trying out Jellyfin

I would probably rather create two different users, one for gaming and one for server related stuff instead. This should work for Windows and Linux. In Linux specifically you can run services as a user through systemd so I guess it is easier there. I’m not that familiar with services in windows, but I assume you can do the same there

Really depends on what games you are planning on playing on it. If it is a lot of multiplayer games with anti cheat software, go for windows, if not pick, pick a linux distro of your choice.

When it comes to gaming, having a rolling release distro is much better for the latest drivers, etc, so something like Arch or its derivatives is recommended

1 Like