Home Wifi 5Ghz random drop issues

So, i have a weird problem. My in-house wifi network - router is HG8245Q2. It has 2 wifi spots, one on 2.4Ghz and one on 5Ghz.

The 5Ghz is giving me trouble but ONLY if I use it with my laptop Huawei Matebook d15 ( it supports linux like a champ ).

If I connect to the router to the 5Ghz spot, the network just drops after 10-20 minutes of use ( literally dissapears from the list of avalible networks and hard reset on the router is req.

The funny thing is, literally every other device is connected to this same spot and they all work without any problems ( phones, wife laptop, desktop with the ultra-dodgy wifi dongle etc. )

Has anybody encountered something similair like this?

LAPTOP CARD
description: Wireless interface
product: RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: wlp2s0
version: 00
serial: 5c:ba:ef:03:73:d1
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtw_8822ce driverversion=5.11.0-31-generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.1.8 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
resources: irq:75 ioport:2000(size=256) memory:c0600000-c060ffff

ROUTER SETTINGS

Try setting the channel to 36 (in case it was set to auto).

Thar particular router also happens to be an ONT with an integrated non removable ONU.

If you can, I’d consider replacing it with a provisioned SFP gpon module and a separate router your ISP wouldn’t control / or just turning it into a dumb modem and relying on more reputable routing and WiFi solutions instead.

Who’s your ISP?

Tried setting the channel to 36, it doesn’t help. It cuts off the wifi spot couple of minutes after I connect to it.

I’m in southeast Europe, ISP is the biggest/state sponsored in the country… they are in bead with the chinese so they get Huawei equipment on the bulk… The equipment is new, but the router is a cheapo one, that’s for sure… just touching the plastic case feels like cardboard toy

Still, I can’t figure out what is in this particular laptop that triggers it? It just ‘kills’ the 5Ghz spot, the other one remains active… Tried switching out the power supply, but it’s still the same

Thanks for the reply :wink:

It’s probably just bad wifi firmware on the Huawei ONT.

If you want to save yourself time and hassle, just get:

… or …

I personally have two U6-LR at home , one of the better investments I made recently.

U6-LITE has solid internals from what I gather from OpenWRT folks who went diving in, should be well supported by the master branch, but slower CPU and only 2x2 compared to LR.

1 Like

Yeah, these look really sweet… esp. Long-Range…

Thanks a bunch man for the help :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.