I’m looking at the prospect of setting up a Linux-based NVR for my dad with PoE IP cameras.
Several hours into reading, I was hoping someone around here could give me advice from experience. There’s a lot of systems and interactions to consider here, to the point where I doubt my ability to make accurate judgement calls prior to building something to see what happens.
I’m looking most closely at Scrypted and Frigate, possibly at Home Assistant (slightly sketchy on what that is in particular, other than a self-hosted web platform for IoT things), and possibly at sending video to HKSV if that’s beneficial, as HKSV is end-to-end encrypted, I’ve read.
I’m planning on a PoE switch on a dedicated Ethernet port on the NVR without LAN or Internet access in any case.
We’re talking about maybe 7 cameras plus a doorbell. Cost matters, so splurging on Synology’s Surveillance Station isn’t in consideration. A decent iOS app with remote access would be nice to have, without doing anything too inadvisable in terms of video data or networking. I’m guessing polish will be hard to come by there, but reliable remote access with notifications would be good enough probably.
I’ve got a few spare HDDs I could donate, a mix of enterprisey and WD Red 8 TB drives. Do you think two ZFS mirrors in a pool would be good enough to support the use case above? I’ve read that’s two HDDs worth of IOPs, wouldn’t mind learning a bit about how to set up ZFS properly, and it sounds like at least Scrypted is capable of being smart about storage devices.