Home Server

No, I wont. if your data is important to you then you should use both but ZFS and ECC ram arent a replacement for a backup solution.

which is why you need a backup anyway because you can lose your pool for many reasons

I’m not going to argue the merits of ZFS without ECC, because theres many reasons why people would choose to use ZFS and not use ECC. If you want an argument, thats for another thread.

1 Like

“A lot of data we store is expendable (in the sense that the expense of backing it up isn’t worth the cost), but that doesn’t mean that rebuilding your music, or plex (or “linux isos”) library is fun when spending a few 100s more could have saved potentially weeks of rebuilding said libraries.”

Cloud storage gets expensive once you start storing terabytes of data, and if one has an offline backup solution that can handle very large amounts of data, like a tape streamer, then skimping on ECC makes even less sense since none of those solutions are cheap either.

There’s a difference between losing your pool, and your pool getting silently corrupted, and potentially taking your backups with it (the array completely dying to corruption is likely the less common, though more extreme, outcome).

As I mentioned, if people know the risks of not using ECC, then fine, “you do you” as they say.
But I see people in this thread basically claim it is “overrated” without giving any data to back up that claim, which runs contrary to the advice given by most experts like iXsystems (FreenAS), or one of the ZFS authors:

The previous post links to two papers on the likelihood of DRAM errors occurring. If, after considering those, people still feel they like those odds, then that’s fine. I don’t exactly feel like I need to argue the point further as we each accept different levels of risk, which, in the end, is what all of this is about: managing risk.

I said what I did for a specific reason. If you disagree with that reason then fair enough. Dont drag the topic to an argument.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.