Home Server running VMware only using 1 Thread Per Core, why?

Okay, so I just did some changes to my home server

from

• 3800X and VMware Workstation 11

to

• Xeon E5-2697 v3 and VMware Workstation 15.

Reason for the change, was IRQ errors due to limited PCIe lanes on 3800X. Anyway, so I’m only seeing 1 Thread Per CPU Core being used instead of both.

What do I need to do to fix this? I’ve tried Win10, Win Serv '12 and Win Serv '19 with VMware 15 and net the same result.

Is there a Windows registry key, that I can use to allow it to use more than just one thread per core?

I do know that VMware Workstation only allows for 16 CPU cores, but does that mean 16 threads to? My CPU has 14 cores, so shouldn’t it allow me to use 2 threads at a minimum?

Full hardware specs;

• Xeon E5-2697 v3
  • JGINYUE X99 TITANIUM D4
  • 128GB 2133mhz ECC
  • Fusion ioScale 3.2TB PCIe SSD
  • Nvidia Quadro P600
  • AVerMedia Live Gamer 4k
  • LSI MegaRAID (w/ 3x 4TB SAS drives)
  • 2.5GB Realteck NIC

Tried using a older version of VMware Workstation, I would keep getting one or two virtual machines…BUT, it was using multiple cores/threads. It worked fine in the past with the 3800X, and with the E5-2697 v3 before 20H2 update, then I started seeing issues. Seems like Microsoft is FORCING users/companies to use newer versions, which limit thread/core usage.

Tried VMware 16 (not Workstation) and it’ll use both threads on a CPU Core, but no remote manageability, and multiple instances need opened, as well no snapshot capabilities.

Switched to Oracle Virtual Box, and have had zero issues. The main instance, plus the small windows, and I get snapshot abilities. Unfortunately, I’ll have to stay with this solution for now, as the Host OS needs to be able to run OBS for video capture.

I’m not fully grasping what you’re saying here because that appears normal to me. Are you expecting 2 threads per virtual processor for a total of 8 virtual threads?

Also, why not use built in Hyper-V? It should have a better feature set on WS2019 than virtualbox or vmware workstation.

Seems normal. I say don’t worry about it. When you start to run more VMs, Windows should start to balance out the VM threads by itself.

VMware switched off hyperthreading somewhere in the 6.7 series on intel systems vulnerable to meltdown or spectre due to security concerns on that hardware.

Your Xeon v3 matches that description. So this could mean you only see physical cores on the hyper visor side.

There may be a VMware setting to disable the security feature and re enable it.

1 Like

Okay, I believe @thro answered the question for me.

The processes would latch onto a single thread, per core. That’s all I was seeing. IF, if I ran VMware (not Workstation) it would use multiple cores per thread, but then I wouldn’t have snapshot feature, or remote manageability. I also currently have 7 VM’s running, and will make more in due time.

As of now, I’m using Oracle Virtualbox and it seems to work w/o issue.

@2FA I’ve not messed with WS2019 much. It already has a VM solution built in? I’ll look into it, but wasn’t aware of this or if it would even fit the bill for what I’m needing.

Every version of Windows has Hyper-V built in, you typically just have to enable it. The Server version has more features than desktop W10 or W11. We use it at work for our server cluster.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.