Home Server Proxmox/NAS

Hello All,

I need some support, I am planning to build a home Server/NAS this will be my first server build. Below is what i plan to use the server for, and also my hardware list.

The uses for the server will be:

• Proxmox hypervisor and also for handling the ZFS storage
  • Emby media server with transcoding
  • Docker for docker things
    *NordLynx
    *Sonarr
    *Radarr
    *Nzbget
    *Nzbhydra
    *Deluge
    *Overseerr
    *Prowlarr
    *Speedtest-tracker
    *Heimdall
    *Diskspeed
    *Tailscale

I have been working on hardware list and came up with the following so far.

Rack Case: Silverstone RM41-HD8
Motherboard: ASUS MB PRO WS 680-ACE IPMI
CPU: Intel i5-14500
NIC: HPE Intel x710+DA2 Ethernet SPF+ (My switch is SPF+)
HDD: Seagate Exos X18 18TB x5
RAM: Kingston 32GB 4800 DDR5 ECC x2 (KSM48E40BD8KM-32HM)
Cooler: Noctua NH-U95
Rack Rails: Silverstone SST-RMS06-22
PSU: re-used Corsair RM850i

1. One thing i am missing but not sure about is the slimsas connector on the MB i need to adapt it to SATA.
  2. I know NVMe drives are missing, any idea what size i would need for the Proxmox install?
  3. I want to add NVMe drives as a cache for the ZFS pool, is this possible in Proxmox and what size would be good?

I live in Switzerland and plan to buy all components from Galaxus so if possible please check anything advised is offered there.

Instead of a nvme cache i would run all the download stuff on a seperate ssd. or maybe a ssd mirror that also has all your docker containers.

I’ve setup something similar with proxmox with LXC containers that run docker. You can then also use a LXC fileserver container for smb and user stuff.

Anything ZFS on linux can do ZFS on Proxmox (ie Debian) can do. You may just need to dig into the command line a bit to make it happen.

+1 for having nvme storage apart from the OS drive for speedy VM storage. As for the OS itself, you can get by with as little as 128GB and still have storage for a few .iso files etc. I would go for 256-512GB for a nice buffer. You can also put the OS on a sata SSD without any issue, especially if VM storage is separated on an nvme.

I ran zfs on proxmox for years and enjoyed it once I figured out the cli admin (setting up scrubbing and backups etc). I only switched to a dedicated truenas vm after fighting with trying to set up a stable time machine for macOS in .conf files for about a week.