Home Server Goals and Issues

That’s fairly standard practice with private keys isn’t it? The key management services in Azure and AWS won’t even let you access the master keys created using them which always seemed kind of odd to me. A master key which your cloud service provider might have access to but you don’t? Sure, ok. :grimacing:

1 Like

I’m in a similar venture myself. I’ve used Jellyfin, wireguard VPN and really enjoyed playing with it, but I’m also a total noob so I can’t really give much advice on the topic.

1 Like

August 11 2021 Server Update

We figured out how to archive, recover, and reimplement volumes. This is good, because…

The host system is on Arch now.

So:

• We shouldn’t see any more permissions issues. Or at least they’ll be easily fixed if they crop up, rather than persistent.
  • DB failures will be easier, faster, and more conveniently troubleshot, recovered, and in case it’s impossible, databases will be easier to snapshot/back-up.

Containers are coming back up one at a time. A lot of my prep for this (archives and redundant backups) is proving delightfully unnecessary so far.

What I didn’t do that was in the plan:

• Implement ZFS for content drives

This one’s going to have to wait on more drives, after further analysis. That’s probably going to annoy @PhaseLockedLoop. Ah well.

1 Like

I’m running DockStation for a quick-and-easy non-CLI way to check on the server, and gitg for interfacing with gitea.

Gitg is fine.

Dockstation is terrible and seems to have zero options to integrate with the system theming and so forth. I tried Dockly - it’s not what I’m looking for.

Any alternatives out there?

I have no idea what I’m doing either, man, you’ll get there.

I’m using portainer, altough that might also not be the best option, it’s not working behind nginx right now, but i want to setup wireguard so i can always access it via the ip address i guess.

Interesting to see someone else running a home server with services and home automation, i’ve been doing the same the last couple of months. I have been getting a little scared though that i just have 1 system and that i’m kind of fucked if something breaks on it, how do you deal with that?

Right now? I try to ignore it, knowing that I have a plan.

The plan, however? When I buy server hardware I’ll be buying 2 of each machine, not counting spare parts and such. All storage, all services, everything, implemented twice for load balancing, and in the event of something breaking, failover.

nah you do you fam. just know your systems flaws

Just realize not using ZFS is… well in my frat-influenced language:

RIP CITY BRUH

Thanks for the confirmation of what I thought you’d think.

I can tell you outright, neither of us had the slightest clue when this started.

That’s the beauty of the level1 community. You learn something new every day in some form or another.

I suppose I’ll get to look forward to it!