Home Server Build

Sorry still getting a hang of the forum, it’s the most advanced one in features so far I’ve used and I still get lost a lot doing stupid things… also I’ m cosplaying Ryan from the last drunken news, didn’t eat anything in 20 hours and I’m already feeling it.

@wertigon All valid points. In the end you can choose your level of power consumption but you can’t really choose a safe bet in any security setup. There is no such thing. Same with your cars and airplanes analogy, if your number is up, does not matter if you statistically trust cars or airplanes because your un-diagnosed aneurysm will blow in your sleep.

@jsfuller Ok, I’m confused a bit. Fun and games as in actual gaming or extra VM’s for messing around with experimental things that are not actually games, as in games that run on a GPU and require you to pay 70 buckaroos to a game studio for 3 hours of semi-frustration?

In case you are using ZFS with compression, dedup, replication, etc, extra features and the Host OS manages that, yes, then some cores and a whole lot of RAM are welcome. If you are using “hardware” RAID solution such as SAS controller with caching module(s) or running everything off an NVMe, then I see no point in leaving extra cores to the host OS because they’ll just idle.

1 Like

@wertigon Pretty much, yeah… I’ve got no floor space at the moment, the only bits are where I put my feet / under a desk (not deep enough for a rack). So, a tower case setup is pretty much the only option.

@ban25 I’ll have a bit of a look at Art of Server - see what’s available and gather some ideas

@rehabilitated_it_guy No games. I meant trying to set up an email server or a bunch of MS office alternatives, photo and video editing alternatives, or development apps like VS Code or Eclipse. Stuff that won’t affect the other VMs if I screw them up.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.