Hobby NAS with VM, here is my rough idea

used EPYC parts are also pretty low cost ATM. Plus ECC REG memory support.

I’ve been avoiding Intel, I’m still skeptical about letting the CPU magically choose when something is less important. I know people had issues with heavy tasks being chosen for E cores early on, I haven’t heard much about it recently though.

1 Like

i know what you mean but i do CPU pinning i assign a docker to specific Cores. No Intel Voodoo involved.

In windows for a “classic” workload you are right. There is Intel Voodoo involved. But even there you “could” assign Cores to a specific Task more or less and surely not practical and do not recomend.

Thanks for both info
Not sure how I miss the cheaper memory

I will research a bit about the missing Error injection feature

Same

P/E core architecture that requires OS / manual core assignment is no for me
Even as a desktop

Gotta watch out for this

But still an interesting idea, would research more

Yeah I was considering buying an older Threadripper since I saw some decent prices for them second hand. Turns out this is why they were at decent prices, they were vendor locked to Lenovo workstations.

Too much risk for not so much gain IMO
Plus they are still so expensive

I guess with all the AGESA updates there won’t be Error injection feature
A bit annoying but I guess I will have to assume ECC is working (or I have to go for server board = $$)

a 75% reduction in cost for only having to pay attention to what the CPU came from? i dunno if i am unusually cheap or what but i can tell you that 100% of the time i will buy a used car that needs a bit of TLC over a brand new one.

I have found a local 2nd hand
3960x + Asus ROG zenith II extreme alpha
Only 18% more expensive than 5950x + motherboard

I think I am gonna go for that

1 Like

Bought it
Missing Wi-Fi moving antenna & Fan Extension Card but they are not useful for me (use LAN anyway)

Now waiting for ECC RAM to be delivered (probably takes weeks)

I setup some stuff today, can confirm that on the Taichi x570 I was not able to test ECC is functioning due to the bios options missing and you cannot downgrade the bios. Best I got is that memtest86 reported that it was ECC memory and ran a standard test.

1 Like

Still waiting my RAM
The waiting is killing me (compared to Amazon

Since I have no idea when will my RAM arrive I also did some studying on network switches.

My internet would not go over 1Gbps anytime soon so I have no need for a different router.

But my new NAS tower would have a 10Gbps NIC (plus another 1Gbps NIC).
And then in a few months (or less) I will have another new PC for gaming with 2.5Gbps.
Should I get a 10Gbps/2.5Gbps switch too?

e.g.

Don’t see any cheap enough 2.5G / 10G switch yet, will check back at least 6 months later

Got all my ECC RAM and built the machine, now testing with memtest

Setuping ZFS pool with properties, samba, storage pool (proxmox)

Will study boot drive backup afterward (using some really old SSD as boot drive here lol)

My ZFS notes

New Pool Properties

compression=lz4

atime=off

casesensitivity=sensitive
normalization=formD
utf8only=on

acltype=posixacl
xattr=sa
dnodesize=auto

aclinherit=passthrough

sharenfs=off
sharesmb=off

Ref

Confirm

zfs get -d 0 -o all compression,checksum,atime,casesensitivity,normalization,utf8only,acltype,xattr,dnodesize,aclinherit,sharenfs,sharesmb,available,refreservation

1 Like

Already setup some CT for Caddy, qBittorrent, etc.

Setting up docker CT template but how to add SSH key more efficiently…

Ubiquiti would be my go-to choice. Last I checked though, ETAs for their hardware run into May/June 2023. 6 months is probably the right timeframe to wait.

Well I might not even need that switch anyway.
It’s not like I always got high data transfer rate.

Let me wait for cheap enough solutions…

Most old NAS functions restored, even got Emby setup (not Jellyfin coz the Unicode subtitle doesn’t work)
Gonna study CT with docker…