High quality peer to peer screen-monitoring one observer, many presenters

I am looking to build a WebRTC based solution for letting a number of remote students share their tablet screens while working on a different app I use to give them math problems.

The idea is for an instructor to be able to host a session for 5-6 students where they all share their screen as they work through the problems. The instructor can keep track of what each of them is doing and have the ability to “push-to-talk” to a specific student and annotate on their screen if needed. No broadcast, so we don’t disturb all students to instruct one. Zoom can do this for three presenters but no more. Discord can do a lot of this except the annotation. Talking to just one person can be achieved using server mute capability. Doesn’t do annotations as far as I know.

The app they are working on is also a web-app. So we can host a nested session if e.g. iOS won’t let one browser session observe another.

I am looking for software suggestions if you think this has this been done already.

If not I am looking at some helpful hints on where to begin or open source projects with good bones that I could fork.

Discord doesn’t do annotation natively, but you could use an app like Whiteboard. There is/was something similar called Jamspace, but I wasn’t able to activate it in a server, so maybe it’s no longer available. Worst case, you could take a screenshot of the student’s screen share, then annotate directly on the screenshot while screen sharing. A little clunky, so Whiteboard or a similar app might have a smoother experience

1 Like