Hi all, Linux noob, running Pop OS

I’m not a complete noob, I’ve used Raspberry Pi’s since the first one, and I’ve learned a little.
But my Linux knowledge is really really tiny compared to M$ OS’s.

I’m certainly not scared of the CLI, I used DOS 5 back in the day.

But yes I consider myself a complete Linux noob.

So how can I unscramble my brain and learn a new (to me) OS?
Does anyone have any good links to noob tutorials, videos, or even recommend a couple of good books?

I basically ran windows for a few apps and Steam. Now steam has proton, there’s really not much need to stick with it. I also have a PS4 too, so really my gaming needs are taken care of.

The reason for the change? To learn something new and challenging. Also a friend told me way back in the early 90’s that I should forget about Windows and learn Linux. I wish I had taken his advice, I’d be a Linux guru by now, and probably quite a bit richer and in a better job.

But hey, I’m here and I’m ready now,

Many thanks,
Darron.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome, dazbobaby!

There is a lot of info out there in the wild. Here is some of the material that I used.

https://linuxjourney.com/

I think you can get this book in the recent HumbleBundle

And a couple of cheat sheets for fast referencing

Note: the rm -rf /make computer faster is a joke.

There is a lot of stuff here in the forum but you have to dig to find the useful info.

@Dje4321 did a series tutorials you might find helpful

As for videos this guy has playlists that I found helpful in the past.

There is always wendel and his level1linux channel

2 Likes

Learnlinux.tv on YouTube has some pretty good tutorials for new users.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay dobzz and Boosted, I’ve just followed all the info you both posted and went down a rabbit hole.

I’ve just bought the Humble Bundle linux book collection, and then subscribed to a few Youtube channels. Then I saw the Pop OS! review on LearnLinuxDOTtv and I think (and hope) i’ve installed the right first Linux OS.

I have kept my eye on Level1Linux for a while, especially since the Linus Tech Tips gaming on Steam with Wendle.

I think this might be a good read too.
smile . amazon . co . uk / dp / 1119556031
CompTIA Linux XK0-004

I can’t post links :frowning:

Thank you both.

1 Like

My suggestion is to learn just the basic things like folders and file manipulation, processes control and the package manager. That’s all you need to begin. Everything else with come with time and following your needs.

1 Like

You’ll learn with time like mentioned. Maybe the most ‘important’ mindset to adapt to coming from windows is that everything is a file.
The Arch wiki is a great source of documentation and troubleshooting so be sure to check that as well.

1 Like

Best way to learn is by doing - until you run into something you can’t do, then google/youtube/ask how to do that.

Run Linux as a desktop OS, and try to do the things you do with Windows, using Linux.

Once you’re comfortable with that, Networking and server applications are where Linux really shines.

“How to learn Linux” is a bit of an open-ended question. At its core there isn’t a huge amount to learn to get up and running (and most basic stuff you can do these days without even touching the CLI). But what you want to do on top of the linux OS is where things get interesting/difficult.

2 Likes

omg delete that hahahahhahahahah

that’s some max level troll right there

The cheat sheet though… I’m saving that.

What do you want to learn? DevOps stuff? Wanna mess with servers? Wanna just surf the interwebz?

Nowadays most distros come ready-to-use for the standard user. You just need to understand your needs and cater to them. Pop!_OS is pretty nice, it has the visuals and all that jazz, but if you want to learn server-stuff there are better ones, such as Debian, (standard) Ubuntu (which Pop is based on[which is also based on Debian{good old Debs <3}]), Fedora (which uses RPM packages instead of DEB).