Thank you…

2 Likes

Linux device manager for Logitech’s Unifying Receiver peripherals - Solaar

available in community repository of Manjaro
and probably most other distributions too

1 Like

Sweet, Thank you very much.

1 Like

What, if any, wireless keyboards and mouse or QWERTY with track pad work in a Linux environment?

Logitech devices have pretty good Linux support. The USB HID driver is included across pretty much everything these days, so any USB keyboard will work.

What Logitech does better than most is make the other features work too, like battery life indicators in your system tray and media keys. Similarly, Logitech webcams are plug-and-play.

I am looking for something I can use from couch to tv.

I have a Logitech K830 to control my Linux HTPC. I love that little keyboard. Battery lasts forever, everything Just Works™. Not the best for heavy typing, but for navigating around the web and launching media, it’s perfect. Also light enough to slip into a laptop bag and take with you while travelling.

Considering Manjaro or ?? Debian based distro.

This is a little like asking “What’s the best flavor of ice cream?” You’ll get lots of answers and nobody’s provably wrong. :stuck_out_tongue:

Since the widespread adoption of systemd, most Linux distros look and feel pretty much the same. There’s one key different between them that’s important to consider: Rolling vs Stable releases.

Stable releases are just that - stable. They’re generally used for servers and workstations, but they’re handy for any machine someone other than you is going to use. I give Grandma Stable releases because it keeps the support headaches down. The downside is that towards the end of a release, your software might be fully supported but lack newer features you might be interested in.

Rolling releases update much faster, usually several packages per day. This means when your favorite tool releases an update, it’s available to you the same day, usually. The downside is that rolling releases often have less testing, and it’s not always clear when an update requres human intervention to complete (such as updating a config file, or adding a newly required package).

Both methods have their benefits and drawbacks. Manjaro is a rolling release, and Debian has both options.

My personal preference (and suggestion) would be Debian. By default, Debian does not ship firmware that the Debian developers can’t modify and fix. The unofficial images do include that firmware, and I would suggest using those images to get started.

You can find those images here.

need help with finding a compatibility list

Support for hardware is handled by the Linux kernel, and all distros share that. With the exception of proprietary video drivers (which may only officially support a few distros), most things from the past 10 years or so Just Work™.

The Debian images I linked can be run from a USB key without installing. It’s a no-risk way to test. The same can be done with Manjaro. Booting it up and seeing if it works is a great way to test your actual hardware before committing to anything. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh 'Gee WHizz, I just wanted to know if the most popular or any had wireless key board compatibility .What are the suggestion as to what works best with out perusing shit tons of old crap.
Because you missed lazy.But Thnx ! I knew their would be one. :slight_smile:

I am going to build a new one ,same Fractal 804 case . The everything WiFi is pissing me off and only ITX this year. HA!

could you elaborate?

Advice:

• Start with Ubuntu LTS as it is well supported by third party software. Other distros have pros/cons, but ubuntu has a lot of companies behind it and people release software targeting it. Once YOU have used linux for a while and have an idea of what annoys you about ubuntu (if anything) or any other requirements/things you want then I’d suggest looking around. But getting started… Ubuntu is the path of least resistance. Your experience with steam, GOG, etc. will be far less hassle with Ubuntu LTS. There’s enough to learn in the transition, try not to make it more difficult than it needs to be initially :slight_smile:
  • get a logitech wireless keyboard that isn’t bluetooth (most of them) as pairing the thing can be a pain if you get a bluetooth keyboard. Some distros may handle bluetooth better than others, but the non-bluetooth wireless keyboards from logitech are operating system independent.
1 Like

Yeah, I was going to go with all the newest AMD hard ware .There is alot of just minor tweaks for last years MBs. I Don’t build every year to keep up with the Jone’s .But I wanted something i could play with my Watt pad and and watch rubbish. It’s what this ol’e Gal likes to do. I certainly will not go to Win 10. I tried it. It’s rubbish. So is 7 but with win pro I could sit on my arse an access my business computer. That has to be Windows because of the self storage software and gate system.Now I will get more exercise .There you have it.
The 804 is a Micro ATX or ITX.I prefer MATX usually more memory and and PCIE. I am not a big on WI FI . Laptop okay ,my PC Not. My Telly is an old CCFL Pioneer Plasma not LED I have had it for a long time and had only had to repair main board and inverted once. Thank goodness for Shopjimmy and Mouser. Parts is parts.I already admitted I am an Old fart. Any way I am still deciding an a board and CPU. I don’t know if I should go new new or last year.I am on a fence. So there you have it. What I do and want I want.
Hey what the best 55" monitor not TV Because I don’t need one. That should be another thread. I don’t want a smart TV. I am looking at Manjaro KDE and some of the debian base Mate, Mint, yadayada .MX19 for my lap top or Solus. So there you have it.

I really want to play with Manjaro on my main PC. I have 4 of them If one takes a shit I can go to another room.I have not made up mind yet. I want play with Arch.I might get in over my head but I doubt it.When I first messed with computers it was all lotus. All our machines ,inventory and such ran off it. Oh and I love Digi Gate system whom ever wrote that was freak’n brilliant.So I am kinda and have no fear of the command line. But I am lazy. Skimming pages for research , ha! Not.

1 Like

That’s all cool. Just be aware that there’s more screwing around to make third party/commercial software work. Sounds like you’re a bit more informed than the typical linux beginner though so you’ll probably be fine.

1 Like

I want to do a new AMD build . I am a fan girl. My first PC was AMD powered. I pretty much know what I want. I just wish more Hardware info was out there for new builds.There is a shit tons for old Intel .Times are changing and I am going with AMD again…Just not Windows. ha! :wink: All you guys are great .I got a lot of great information. Thank you.

Well i can only give you my experience from last year with Ryzen 2000 series.

Launch week, bought an X470 Taichi and a 2700x to go with my existing Vega 64.

Everything worked with Linux straight out of the box. Wireless, bluetooth, everything.

The install experience was far better than trying to get Windows 10 up and running, even. In fact, the linux vs. windows 10 install experience was enough to get me to just not bother spending more than an hour or so screwing around with Windows. I didn’t have an optical drive in the machine and trying to figure out what drivers were required to make windows 10 see m.2 as an install destination was an hour or more of screwing around and i didn’t really want windows anyway so…

1 Like

I have used Fedora for about 15 years now, and pretty much every keyboard and mouse works with it. I have had problems with bluetooth and WiFi combo cards before. If you use a microsoft bluetooth mouse, you may have issues. Those are hit or miss depending on the internal card and the actual mouse. If you are using Dongle based like logitech, works out of the box from install, and replacements will just plug and play. If you’re using a laptop, usually all those are working right out of the installer with no extra configuration, unless it’s some flashy new tech like those dual screen laptops, or the asus trackpad screen. Just follow the instructions when you make your bootable USB installer, and you will have an excellent experience. Lots of resources online too.

1 Like