Heresy in my supermicro 846

Found me a supermicro 846 and immediately got to committing minor atrocities. The original board, the PDB-PT846-8824, is woefully underequipped for powering more than the bare necessities, like the motherboard and backplane. I also needed to replace the loud old PSUs, but the only quiet ones that I had lying around are the pws-1k28-sq in my supermicro 747. I tried throwing those into the 846, but they didn’t fit. Unfortunate. That got me thinking about just tossing in the 747’s power distribution board, the pdb-pt747-4648. This couldn’t work, could it? I immediately got to work before googling if it would. It did, in fact, work. All you have to do is swap the pdb into the old board and everything fits together quite nicely.

It’s so close to being perfect. If only the rear of the 747 fit onto the rear of the 846 so that I could have 9 slots… I took it apart and tried but it was too different. That’s something I am going to have to do another day. Let me know if you know of any supermicro sku that have a 9 or 11 slot back (like the 747) that could potentially fit onto the 846. I would be very interested in any of your help, since I am considering 3d printing a replica of the rear with 9 slots to test fit before I order a metal one from protocase or something lol.

1 Like

Forgot to add pictures. Here you go:

I’ll post some pictures of the full build after I get everything I need for it (and bother to remember). Still missing the rails and front panel breakout.