Help with vfio and VM sleep

So I am having a issue with my vfio gaming rig. I have proxmox setup as the hypervisor and then I have an XFX 590 Fatboy passed though to Pop! OS. My problem is that the screen doesn’t reliablly turn off. I’m want my machine to so to sleep and to turn off the display but when the display turns off I get a black screen with a cursor. I’m not sure what is causing this but the VM doesn’t have any logs or errors so I’m a bit lost. My wild guess is that Proxmox is somehow keeping the screen alive but I’m not sure how or why or where I should look.

I tested the hardware with a Live ISO and sleep worked as expected. I’m frankly puzzled and I’ve been trying to track down the issue for months. My work around is to just power off the display but it would be nice to make it do that automatically.

The hardware is a Dell Precision 3620 with a i7-6700k

This sounds like a bug with the driver. GPU sleep states may not be working 100%, and the GPU retains an image.

I’d either turn off the VM, or start using the Hibernate feature - save state but turn off. Though be aware that passed through GPUs often use more power when connected to a driver. One recent example I saw for an idle Intel Arc Pro A40 - 40W without driver, 7W with driver.

Strange that it only happens in the VM although at work I have a faulty GPU that crashes the entire system if if is passed though and the someone RDPs into the system.

I’ll see if I can do some more sluthing as sleep works the first time for some reason.