Help with Threadripper Pro RAM

Hey guys I have been having problems with my Asus Pro Sage seen here https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-WRX80E-SAGE-WIFI-Threadripper-workstation/dp/B0927N4Y5T/ref=sr_1_1?crid=J8U0SENLPZCO&keywords=asus+pro+sage&qid=1676342641&sprefix=asus+pro+sage%2Caps%2C155&sr=8-1

with CPU 3955WX.

It has been having RAM issues since the day I got it. I initially ordered https://www.amazon.com/DDR4-3200-PC4-25600-Registered-NEMIX-RAM/dp/B09JTT8SLG and this RAM was apparently not compatible. It had stability issues and would crash and fail to boot.

So I replaced it with this RAM https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZLHD4F8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which is straight off the QVL listed separately by both Asus and Corsair. Most of the time when I boot it just sits there with the fans on. No boot logo no UEFI. USB power turns on but it just hangs there until I press power again and it immediately powers off. It’s not booting down without a display or anything. Any time I reboot from inside an OS it will shut down the OS and then hang in the same state and never boot back up. The RAM is in a listed compatible configuration of the 4 rightmost slots for a total of 128GB. The only UEFI/BIOS settings I have changed are to enable virtualization features for KVM/VFIO and tuning the RAM to 3,000MHz as any other frequency is extremely unstable. The problem persists even when I disable every BIOS setting. Hopefully someone here can help me fix it. Usually there is some kind of niche BIOS setting I don’t know about or if you just know of any working RAM for this board please let me know.

I’ve never used a Threadripper Pro but I’ve built some EPYCs which I believe are similar, and they do like CMOS RAM being cleared after a memory change, and can have weird problems if the CPU isn’t seated just right (torqued to spec).

I’d try a CMOS clear and CPU reseat first.

That board has BMC+IPMI doesn’t it? You might get some details from the error logs on it. You can ping-scan the subnet mask to find the IP and use the default admin credentials if you didn’t change them already.

1 Like

Clear the cmos. And what version of the bios and firmware do you have?
And perhaps some other stuff PS and special boards, etc.
I’ve been running the same NEMIX kit for a year and a half with only a stick swap at the beginning. I have pretty much everything on stock settings, auto.
Initial memory training can take a while, it is pretty nerve wracking.
The Q-code display will seem to stick for a while and then proceed.
You didn’t mention any q-code errors, any?
The stability improved ( for me ) with newer BMC firmware ( 1.17.1 ). Fan control and spurious sensor errors went away. There is a new BMC firmware released on 1/18/23. Gonna give that a try.
The QVL memory should be solid, unless you have a wonky MB, there have been a couple of folks with reports of random issues fixed by RMA.
You should be able to run with 4 sticks, just at slightly lower performance
Do you have all of the power supply connections made? All three of the 8-pin and the 24.

Just a couple of thoughts.

that’s a problem with intel too, with release of socket 4189 we had this problem a lot.
It’s in fact my standard question when someone has memory or PCIe problems with Threadripper o newer Xeons.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.