Help with Synology Rack Station RS3618xs

Hi folks,

Been watching LevelOne on YT for a while now, and i finally see myself heading over here for some help.

I recently bought a RS3618xs for my home lab, but the fans are a tad louder than i’d hoped. I understand rack units will have fairly loud fans, thats a given. I was wondering if anyone knew a way e.g. via ssh to adjust the fan profiles for the unit?

I found this an old post on the web but sadly it doesn’t seem to be relevant anymore and i cannot locate the scemd.xml file which is where fan profiles used to be (can’t post links).

The other thing i’ve noticed, for those familiar with synology is that the fan profile “quiet mode” is greyed out. I’m wondering if it’d be possible to maybe manually enable this somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have the 10Gb NIC installed? If so I think the quiet fan mode gets greyed out. I suspect you could probably change it in the config somewhere, but a better option may be to open it up and see if you can actually just change the fans

Yeh i have a 10Gbe/NVME nic, i honestly dont know why they dont let people adjust this themselves. I found a post on a blog called “return2 .net”, but seems outdated.

I suspect they don’t let you turn it down because that NIC has higher airflow requirements

I’m going to setup some monitoring, but i think i’ve found the file! Just trying to figure out what to change now. https:// pastebin. com / gQpqiCZT

Hmm. My “NAS” doesn’t seem to be listed in that file, I’m trying to work out if its something to do with the entries at the very top of the xml.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.