Help with school's network security

Long story short, I'm a teenager working a summer job at my high school where I maintain all of our hardware and update software. Right now, my boss and I are trying to come up with a solution for the new LG Chromebases our school have placed orders on.

Currently, our problems are that Chromebases are mainly designed for cloud computing but we have a lot of security issues. One of them being that people are constantly forgetting to log out of their accounts and lose all of their data. 

Can you help us think of a system that will allow us to ensure that people are always logged out if the computer is inactive and prevent people from accessing other's data?

I know there is a setting in Windows that once the PC is left inactive for x amount of minutes it will lock the PC. Maybe there is some option similar to that?

Yeah, I was looking into something similar to that. Instead of locking the computer, I did find some Chrome settings that allowed for cookies and login data to be cleared and then pair it with another plugin that kills programs at certain intervals. I'll see what my boss thinks

Thanks for the reply

There are a few addons for Chrome that will do this for you. 

You can also use Active Directory and apply group policy in domain; meaning you could lock those devices out after log-in time passes.

That's a good question! I wish I knew more about (Samsung made -?) Chrome-books, but I don't. About all I know is that they have their own apps which means you're considerably limited as far as any additional software goes. You can't even really use standard Android apps either. So really, if you can't configure the Chrome web browser on those Chromebooks the way you want by doing the obvious things like denying the storing of cookies and clearing out cache after so much time has passed then you may have made a bad choice on physical computers. And the fact that you're now asking about network security tells me that you may be considering using something like a proxy if everyone will be connecting through the same access point or something (in which case, I too would be interested in knowing any good "server side" solutions).

Personally, I would never have gone this way simply because I know the evils of Google and their Chrome-crap. Sorry if that's a bitter pill to swallow -- and I'm sure I'm in a tiny minority when it comes to "the Google." Still, you may not be totally SOL here since an option may be to abandon the Chrome OS for a Linux one -- or even the Google sponsored Android! And yes, there are some people who do that but it's not for the faint of heart particularly since it will need to be done on every single system. But at least with Linux or Android you should be able to implement some "policies" (as if it were a Microsoft OS) or at least have a larger choice of apps.

Sorry if I misunderstood the question or anything. But that's my 2-cents...