Help with RAM selection for Truenas build

Hello!

I am currently planning out a build for my first Truenas server. I am going to build it around one of two x99 boards that I already have. One will be the server, the other will be my workstation.

Motherboards:
-Asrock x99 Taichi
-Gigabyte x99 UD4

Both have Xeons already in them.

I would like to get 128GB of ram which is the max for these boards. ECC ram would be nice to have and I’m finding offerings on ebay of 8x16Gb DDR4 ECC kits for under $150 which is where I’d like to be on the budget.

I am not that familiar with the different types of ECC and compatibility implications of ECC and I could use a push in the right direction.

The x99 Taichi board states in the manual that it, “Supports DDR4 ECC, un-buffered memory/RDIMM with
Intel® Xeon® processors E5 series in the LGA 2011-3 Socket”

The UD4 states, “Support for RDIMM 1Rx8 memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)”

So it sounds like the UD4 may not be a real option for ECC memory.

I’m not really clear on what would be compatible with either board: Registered?, Unbuffered?, 1Rx8?.

I would really appreciate an example of what I could expect to work.

1 Like

I’m thinking I may go with some of these: 16GB SK hynix DDR4 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RA0-10 HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF TD AB 1443 16 GB DDR4 | eBay. “16GB SK hynix DDR4 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RA0-10 HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF TD AB 1443 16 GB DDR4”

From what I’ve been able to find out it seems the Taichi x99 board should have no problems with this.

Does anyone see any reason to expect this ram not to work with this MB? Any down sides I should be aware of?

I was able to find a good deal on two sticks of ram and bought it to test. The ram is Samsung 16GB DDR4 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-R Server Memory ECC Reg RDIMM M393A2G40DB0.

I tried this in the Gigabyte x99 UD4 board and could not get it to post. Tried both sticks individually. Nothing.

Tried these in the Asrock x99 Taichi and it is working just fine. This leaves me in a precarious position because I had all but settled on using the Gigabyte UD4 for the server.

I considered a BIOS update for the UD4 board but there is only one update ahead of my current version. Version F24c, the only notes associated with it state: “Update CPU Microcode” which I assume wouldn’t be related to memory compatibility.

I have also seen a number of mentions that Asrock and Asus x99 motherboards seem to work well with reg ECC while Gigabyte and MSI do not.