Help with old Panasonic speakers

My Mum has this old Panasonic stereo/boombox and the center unit that powers the speakers has broken. I want to salvage the old speakers because they sound really nice (plus re purposing old hardware is kinda my thing since I’m poor :P), the only problem is I’ve tried to find different solutions for the speakers cause they seem to use an old standard that isn’t used anymore.

I want to plug them into my Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier using the RCA outs in the back of the DAC/Amp. I’ve got a feeling I’ll need to find an old 80’s or 90’s Amp with RCA ins but I haven’t been able to find anything that would work with the Speakers.
Also my budget is $50 NZ.

I'm no expert on this but I believe these are bi-wired speakers. Meaning you have +/- for high frequency signal and +/- for the low frequency. The high frequency is probably wired to tweeters in the speaker housing and low goes to the woofers. I don't know if the speakers themselves will have the crossover filters in them or if they are in center unit. You can wire it to a standard single wire amp by connecting both positives to the single positive post on the amp and the same for the negatives. If the crossover filters are in the speakers to separate the high and low frequencies then you'll be golden.

I got one of these to use my old infinity speakers on my pc.

1 Like

Thanks for the help!
Lets assume the crossover filters aren't in the speakers, what will I do then?

I would think that you would have to find a crossover to go between the amp and the speakers. You could damage the speakers over time without having a crossover to control the frequency range. It wouldn't be an issue if these were bi-wire speakers that were produced as stand alone speakers, they would have the filters in them set for the proper frequency response. Since they are part of a complete system though, I can't be sure. You might try googling the model see if there's a copy of the manual or specs anywhere.

If all else fails and you want to be safe, you could go with something like this:

1 Like

get crossovers.

1 Like

Sweet, thanks for the help :D

think you should be fine grabbing the same cross overs i've seen used for car audio, esp for two way speakers, treble and mids. but not so sure, did that speaker thing have a sub?

found some specs

seems like a pain in the ass, the two speakers operate at different ohms

I found an electrical schematic as well. This is a 13 page pdf here. The speakers and amp are detailed in the last 2 pages.

Yeah, there are 2 different impedances for each speak, high and low. The tweeters are high and the woofers are low I think