Help with drive issues

Any idea on how to fix this?

http://i.imgur.com/Zz6HEmu.png

 My best guess is that the cause is a large amount of files in your folder. I would suggest compressing it into an archive, if it's a backup anyway.

Compressed it and it shrunk down to 10 gigs so i deleted the original, rebooted, and the drive still shows the 300 gigs as being taken up.

Does it not indicate by the Size on Disk value the actual size of the compressed file? Sure, the compressed file is 10GB but the contents are 300GB.

No, that screencap is of the un-compressed file. Its shows how much space is being taken up and then how much data is actually there.

End thread, Just reformatted the drive and reloaded the old data onto it, works fine now.

What file system are you running? I hope not NTFS. I do not trust my data to NTFS. I run EXT4 or BTRFS. Both are superior and newer than NTFS.

It's running exFAT.

I know this is probably going to sound dumb, but did you try defragging before a reformat?

Yep, even tho it didn't seem to need defragging I tried it anyways.

Why are you running exFAT on that drive?

Not that it matters now, but it was likely just a problem with the file table.chkdisk likely would have fixed it. glad you got it sorted.

It came that way ._. Is it like bad or something? Sorry I don't really know to much about hard drives ;P

exFAT is kind of a SDHC format. It is also primarily used when moving a drive between Mac and Windows but NTFS would be better if you do not switch between Mac and Windows. I prefer EXT4 but I run Linux and Windows.