Help with buying server software

Hello,
Reacently I got a job at a school. In the next 2 months we need to buy a server for school. Budget for server software and hardware is 22k. So far I know that the old server had the next virtual macnines SQL server, LMS Moodle, Magento, Windows Active directory, Backup, Big Blue Button, Email. It is a small school, we have about 500 students but rapidly growing and about 100 staff. What kind of virtualization software should I use? What kind of managin software should i use? If i overlooked something please let me know. Sorry for my english it is not my first language.
Thank you in advanced for the help.

There’s plenty of ways to do that. You should pick based in your familiarity with the host I suppose.

1 Like

here’s a hot tip.
buy a super beefed server.

then run free(dom) software like
https://archlinuxarm.org/

here is something to study

Windows ADDC

ARM Based Server

Shiggy Diggy

I’m in a similar boat guy, I cant speak for some of the software you have already but I am expected to put together something involving an lms with video conferencing.

so far I am looking to use proxmox for vm management, moodle, apache video extension on an hp dl360 f10 for about 10k usd. make sure to get ask for ed discount from your suppliers. I cant speak for ad because we dont use it, I have to build an api to connect to a legacy db for user auth (much fun)

Hi, I am starting starting from scratch. For virtualization have heard of proxmox and unraid. What should i use for upgrading all the software on the VM?

I wouldn’t use unraid for a school.

Software to upgrade sounds like you’d want some kind of monitoring system such as zabbix.

1 Like

I would ask that u consider separating backups from the vm host. I’m looking to use proxmox on a server system with dual socket 10 cores with 128gb memory. that way I can have separate servers as vm’s, using the built in raid controller in a raid 6 config for local storage.

as for backups you can build a separate system for that using unraid or freenas depending on use case. and use the nas for backup stuff only. with the number of users u have a less beefy server with 8 bays will start u off. if u outgrow it u can get a jbod box and a san card to grow the number of disks u can connect by groups of 16. these can be chained together as well so 16 +16 +16 + 8 drives…

Did you just recommend Arch linux for a production single server for a lone sys admin?

I’ll have what you’re smoking please.

5 Likes

I did forget he was solo, but I dont see why he wouldn’t be able to get it done unless he is not interested in doing work. in which case there is active directory for that.

Arch is too fast paced to be usable in a critical production environment.

Sysadmin do other work besides updating their servers and if you cannot have a reliable server infrastructure in addition to a community supported software that will not really fly by management because that puts all of the burden of responsibility on a single individual so if he was hit by a bus the entire org is fucked.

The level of risk is far too high and he would be better suited with RHEL, OEL, SEL, etc. Something with support contracts.

2 Likes

nice job complaining and not being constructive at all.
you don’t need to constantly update for whatever reason you believe that. you can make a script run once a week if you like and reboot for you during your scheduled downtime.
time shift is a thing.
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/timeshift/

if everyone just uses support contacts they will never be forced to learn how to use their software.

I provided examples, alternatives, and rationale for my train of thought, but I digress. :man_shrugging:

That is simply not true. As all of the above offer training and certifications. Having a support contract is akin to insurance if anything really hits fan and no one can fix it.

Furthermore, I would encourage the OP to further his knowledge and understanding by taking some training.

1 Like

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 36 hours unless flagged)

okay.

1 Like

@RedDrag0n can you describe what experience/knowledge you have regarding virtualization and administering Linux and Windows servers?

My initial recommendation would be 2 ESXi nodes.

3 Likes

I would have recomended esxi but i cant in good conciense after the whole licensing change and the scale OP is working with.

In addition OP has a budget and for a dual socket system he would need to get 2 licenses for esxi plus any additional value add service the dealer would push at him. I would also like to mention XCP-NG, but I haven’t put it though its paces but have seen it recomended a few times.

@OP i did look at big blue button and like it for my application, how has it been working for you? and would you recommend it

I was thinking essentials kit license. Maybe essentials plus if OP wants HA, vmotion, etc. well within budget and allows a third node later if desired.

I’ll have a peep and reserve my judgments then.

Hi, I never had acess to powerful hardware so i did not had a lot of experience with VM . I just used virtual box to test ifi software and a VM for linux testing. I went to college of computer and information sience. So i know all the teory but a lack the field experience. I am not a linux guru so archlinux is out of the qestion. I am not a strainger to linux but I am not a guru.

1 Like