Help with a new workstation for University and side hussle

Hey there folks, been a long time viewer of the channel and im starting Comp Sci at University on Wednesday and I am looking to build a new workstation / Daily machine to help me speed my workflow up WIth Android Studio and VM’s for testing my Code.

My side hussle is Android / IOS development for a local small companies and compile multiple times as im not the best fixing code xD
and at Uni I am doing CompSci mainly software dev and networking and feel like i need more umph as my system lags hard when doing said things and just looking for help to get a new system up and running as its BSOD too most of the time whats not viable for me to use all the time now for when I am studying.

I have been looking at things such as Used AMD EPYC CPUs with 32 Cores and 64GB RAM although not sure i should go this route when i can go to something like a 7950X with 64GB DDR5 what i assume would help me more than octo channel DDR4 for code?

Current System Specs:

• Core i5-10500
  • 32GB 3100MHz DDR4
  • RTX A5000 GPU
  • 6x SSD SATA Storage with 990 Pro NVMe for boot drive

Scaling up to Epyc platform, will offer up more leverage for VMs
Even budgeting down to Gen1 Epyc, is a whole lotta cores to make use of
64GB may be smidge tight, pending on VM/workload demands [+keeping overhead happy]
ECC RAM can be had, for relatively cheep – fill up ALL them channels!?

Do read mainboard specs, as they’re either fixed to singular Gen or 2 Gens [1/2 or 2/3]

1 Like

If going AM5, this summer the 9950X will be released. That is probably the best bang for buck. Combine with the latest X[67]70 series Pro Art plus 2x48 GB ECC RAM, and you should have a damn decent upgrade for only about $1.3k or so.

EPYC is not really worth going for with your use case, you could buy it will be hot, loud and cost at least around $1.5k.

Epyc will lose you a lot of clock speed.
12 or 16 cores makes sense to have on hand for a couple of VMs and a busy host, so high-end Desktop or maybe previous Gen used workstation if your workload leans heavily into multi-threaded/core.