Help Wanted: RX580 on AM3 mobo

So help needed to find the right place to put all this… I’m not sure what I’m doing with this forum… it’s very different than the phpbb3 I’m used to when I last was on a forum, so please forgive me.

Alright. So Of course Black Friday/Cyber Monday is the great time of the year to buy some bigger ticket Items, and I’m in the middle of a platform upgrade. i.e. I’m almost ready to drop a nice chunk of change to buy into Ryzen - right now I’m just upgrading the little pieces that would be needed so when I jump into the big buy-in for Ryzen I know all the parts work except for the possible of the three I need to buy all at the same time. (i.e. DDR4, AM4 Socket Mobo, and a Ryzen itself)

So… Current Spec.

AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 Processor
Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3
16 GB DDR3-1333 Ram
and about 9TB worth of storage, 1TB being SSD.
Originally a 500W power supply and a ASUS Radeon HD 7570
Now a 750W power supply and a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580

Running Ubuntu 18.04 - particularity KDE cause I’m that type.

BUT… here’s my problem.

I get no output out of the RX 580 and my system falls back to the on-board graphics of a Radeon HD 4340.

Cleared CMOS - no dice.
Updated BIOS on Mobo - no dice.

So Now I’m thinking “Do I need to RMA this? Ugh that would be such a pain in my backside…” OR “It has only been 5-6 years with this box, am I really already so behind on the tech that I can’t even use an RX 580 in this box - that would blow.”

So, brothers, sisters, helicopters of all types and flavors. Any ideas cause after banging my head on this for 2 weekends already I am out of ideas cause my work is fun and awesome but it is mind-fucking on the daily and I don’t want to think anymore right now. So forgive me if I put this in the wrong place.

1 Like

Provided the 580 is getting enough power it should work on that board fine.

A few ideas;

1. Have you checked in the bios to see if the on-board GPU can be disabled or if graphics need to be set for PEG first?

2. If you boot into Windows with the on-board GPU is the 580 listed in the devices menu? If not, does your mobo have a second PCIE slot? plug it into that one and try again.

3. Put your old 500W PSU back in and see if you can boot with the 580 using that. If so it means your new PSU might be the item to RMA…

4. Finally, you have double checked all power cables and that everything is plugged in? I’ve been a moron before and pulled my hair out and then realised I’d forgotten something obvious - it happens :slight_smile:

In these situations having a friend willing to test components in their PC is always useful.

1. I had it set to PCI first, and it falls back to On-board, I can try setting it to PEG and see if that does anything different. Worst case it falls back to onboard anyways and I can still SSH on the “worst” case

2. Not using Windows. Will not use Windows. Windows is a pain in the ass to put on my raw hardware cause it will want to overwrite boot records and I am not doing that. I have lshw and lspci - both are not showing anything about the RX580.

3. the new PSU I checked with an meter before putting it in. It’s fine, so not power supply issues. (the old 500W was getting a bit dirty and has lost about 10W over the 5 years I owned it so - even that little difference of power could do it)

4. I was just thinking before I went to sleep last night I would have to reseat all the pieces. Heaven’s knows I’ve been burned by that before too.

I figured it out…

it was a re-seating issue - but here’s the kicker that really grinds my gears.

On this particular design of Motherboard, the SATA ports (all of them) sit in line with the GPU clearance of double-wide cards. so a 2x or 2.5x slot card will always and forever cut off use of the on-board SATA controller.

GPU or Harddrive - from an era of motherboard before NVMe drives… Smooth Gigabyte - real smooth.

So new PSU works. No idea of the RX580 works, but I am not holding it against it cause the motherboard of the system I am going to be turning into a headless anyways is not will/able to accept such things.

SIGHS and a Christmas Gift for myself again failing me in ways I thought not possible… Merry Christmas everyone. I’m going to go Ebeneezer and drink myself into a stupor.

1 Like

Yeah i feel ya, board designs were not allways that great back in the days.
But yeah i suppose that maybe concidering to upgrade your platform,
to maybe Ryzen in the upcomming year?
Because if you trully want the best performance out of your RX580 at 1080p,
then you trully might concider an upgrade at some point.