Help upgrading toshiba cpu and gpu

you think $ 50-80 bucks is worth 20% more cpu powa?
hmm. same tdp. 20% mo juice. ... i wonder.
the gpu would really be the better up-gRage
i do have a spair pci in there, maybe i should just get a desktop pci adapter line and jack it in the bottom there

Well... For $50, yeah. Did you find a 920xm for that little? I'm seeing them on ebay for quite a lot more than that.

Back when I was planning on doing the upgrade to a 920xm, people were wanting well over $400 for them. lol.

well
im thinking the i7-840QM
because, well , he did grab the copper heatsink assembly,
but the tdp on that chip and the one in there is the same, not stressing it with an extra ten Watts
and the 920xm is still 3.2ghz same max turbo as the smaller chip but the smaller one has a lower minimum non turbo speed
idk

urgh, im
not looking forward to the re-assembly god...

Hmm.. Seems like a small bump, but for $50, it won't hurt.

And Yeah, the 920xm is unlocked, hence the price difference. But I doubt you'll be doing any overclocking in a laptop anyway.

The i7-840QM is definitely a performance increase, but it's not incredible. It wouldn't hurt if you absolutely want to upgrade this machine.

Now, from the original post and the specs, I'm going to guess this is a Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q870/Q880? If it is then that GPU is the nVidia GeForce GTS 360M. This has been mounted to a custom PCB which is non-MXM compliant, and uses a custom, proprietary connector (although it very much resembles a connector which Dell also used for PCI-E throughput on the Vostro 1500.) I would say there is no potential to upgrading the GPU physically. The GTS 360M was the highest performing version of the GT215 chip it is built on.

Award for the most 4chan'ness thread of the week.....

It has a great cpu for that socket - leave it.
GPU wise - wouldnt bother either - system was designed to cool such a gpu.
If you want to make the laptop better toss out the mechanical hdd and use a ssd.

+

=Me.

This is a cut down version of my borderline abusive rant I've been writing over the last 10 minutes I would've spent researching this if it wasn't already solved and flooded with 15 completely unnecessary images:

Be concise. A picture doesn't always paint a thousand words.
Most of the time it'll just take a chunk out of the data cap of anyone who came here to help you.
If you're asking for help, act courteously. No-one here is paid to give advice. They're not going to bother trying to read through a thread if it's become stupidly convoluted thanks to an excess of images. Especially if it's the freaking OP's fault.
If you want to act immature, go to the LTT forums. You'll be welcomed by the "loving" arms of a thousand 12 year olds that might actually find all these "memes" funny in this context.