Help upgrading toshiba cpu and gpu

my roomate wanted me to repaste his cpu and gpu,
the thing was in desperate need to be cleaned blown and thermal pasted again anyways
when i opened it up to the point where i could get all that work done,
i looked at it and said
well shit,
all theese parts are modular and upgradable,
so before i put it back together ill try to figure out if i can find better crap to toss in there
before i go through another hour putting it back together

id be totally happy to do ether,
put it back together now that its cooling has been turned to copper, and whatnot.

or leave it open in parts for a week for a new cpu or gpu
but it was one of those asshole laptops that made me take it apart to the molecular level,
so while its in pieces like this, i wanna know if we can slop in a newer cpu and or gpu

photos are incoming,

supposedly its a MXM 3.0 Type-B
but looking at that its not nearly the same
not sure what type of little connector that is
heres the mobo side

the cpu socket seems to be a pga 989

the model is a toshiba qosmio x505 q875
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114804

I highly doubt you can replace the CPU and GPU in that laptop. most laptops, well for argument sakes, about 99% of laptops have the CPU soldered on the Logic Board. that's not coming off unless you replace the whole logic board. and two, the GPU considering it's an ancient graphics card, i doubt you'll find a replacement for that. it's not like you can go on ebay and find a 970m to stick on there. stuff like that is the reason i don't invest into Gaming Laptops, they will eventually overheat, and the components get out-dated too quickly.

do you not see the goddanm photograph of the removable socket pga 989 and the removed socket for the gpu?
i really dont mean to come off as a dick here,
but holy shit did you even read the post?
TLDR:
him:

ME:

okay?

what makes you think, you can put modern day hardware in it? just cause the components are removable doesn't mean you can put something better in it, like a desktop motherboard. it's not like you can't really buy mobile processors and graphics cards.

And even if you could, you aren't going to put something better in there cause it won't cool it properly..

1 Like

my god man,

a newer 989 cpu , would run ten tdp cooler and with less power.

and no, replacement gpu would not need to be the same one.
but at the most id expect one model generational year higher at most

and newer gpus would run with less power and thus be cooler.
my only hang up is that the mxm modular gpu socket seems to be some bastard toshiba custom

All of you calm the fuck down.

@Kat You know that KuramaKitsune is asking a legit question right? Laptops with removable CPU/GPUs do exist, but are rare.

@KuramaKitsune Not sure about the GPU, but for the CPU, you can refer to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_G1 Upgrades do exist, but are not even close to being worth the price.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7+940+%40+2.93GHz

That is the highest end chip there, and the price is more than what you'd pay for a brand new Y40-80 with a comparable CPU and GPU.

this is the cpu in there now
the issue of confusion is that the socket says 989
but looking up the cpu it says 988

I know they exist. what i'm saying is that, i doubt he will find a suitable upgrade, considering how ancient the laptop is. especially since it's from an OEM

im looking at ANY upgrade,
while i have every nut and bolt out of the thing on my desk.

while of course cost effectiveness will be taken into account,
if the upgrades cost overshadow the cost of a more powerful laptop alltogether then thats the road we will take , and i will simply reconstruct the laptop back into its newly thermal pasted working old self

can you guys even see my first post that had 3 photos of the mobo and cpu and gpu sockets and whatnot?
if not ill upload them differently

as you can see there not exactly the usual mxm clippy deal thing
because this is what mxm is supposed to look like

@KuramaKitsune Please stop the gifs and images, it's immature and annoying.

As for the laptop, it's not worth spending money into upgrading it. Getting a new laptop would be much more worth it, for a number of reasons. Just turn that old one into a media thing or something, or bury behind your new stuff and have it process stuff while you have fun on something more powerful.

I wasn't kidding when I said a new laptop cost less: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y40-80/

Similar powered CPU, and a slightly more powerful GPU. The GPU you have is comparable to an HD4600, which is ok.

1 Like

I looked on Ebay, cause realistically that's the only place you're really going to find stuff like this, all that came up were OEM logic boards and replaceable components for the 18 inch Alienware.

Like i said, just cause it's removable, doesn't mean you're going to find something better to throw in there.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=intel+i7+940+pga+989&_from=R40|R40|R40|R40|R40|R40|R40|R40|R40|R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xintel+pga+989.TRS0&_nkw=intel+pga+989&_sacat=0**strong text**

i can find lots of replacement parts
http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_odkw=toshiba+qosmio+-adapter+-battery&_sop=3&_from=R40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xtoshiba+qosmio+-adapter+-battery+-keyboard.TRS0&_nkw=toshiba+qosmio+-adapter+-battery+-keyboard&_sacat=0

my issue is, i need to know which parts from a newer setup are compatible,
especially annoying is that the cpu socket says 989 but looking up the cpu itself it says 988
so i can go look for those.

im just immature i guess,
i use theese gifs to express more of an emotional reaction and connotation to my bland text only forms of communication

Ok, I tried. I'm done here.

2 Likes

maybe we can get back to more constructive things

Like i continue to reiterate, i really doubt you'll find a replacement cause of the custom socket from an OEM. you can post the funny images all day, but you could of just Googled this information prior, to see if it were capable of being upgraded or to see if anyone else had success doing it to being with.

the thing was in desperate need to be cleaned blown and thermal pasted again anyways
when i opened it up to the point where i could get all that work done,
i looked at it and said
well shit,
all theese parts are modular and upgradable,
so before i put it back together ill try to figure out if i can find better crap to toss in there
before i go through another hour putting it back together

id be totally happy to do ether,
put it back together now that its cooling has been turned to copper, and whatnot.

or leave it open in parts for a week for a new cpu or gpu

seems
The r in rPGA refers to "Reduced pitch" which is 1mm Ɨ 1mm in this socket design

ebay, your best friend. Plenty of better mobile cpu's and gpu's sold in parts there.

1 Like

.IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i7-720QM
Processor Base Frequency 1.6 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency 2.8 GHz
TDP 45 W

i7-840QM Mobile 1.86Ghz 3.2Ghz ebay $99
Processor Base Frequency 1.86 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency 3.2 GHz
TDP 45 W

so those 2 chips are basically the exact same it seems other than an extra 400mhz
thats like what one sixth extra juice? 17% 20 % ?

idk about all that.

i7-920XM Processor Extreme Edition 3.2Ghz $130
Processor Base Frequency 2 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency 3.2 GHz
TDP 55 W

now if i can figure out a gpu upgrade, with that confusing ass connector clip thing

@Kat Geez..............

Anyway. Back to the OP's question. My old Asus N61JQ laptop had that exact same i7 720qm.Yes, you can upgrade the processor, but it's stupidly expensive. You could go all the way up to an i7 940xm if you wanted to. (For whatever reason...)

Laptops with socketed CPUs are more common than you'd expect, in my experiences. So far, I've only upgraded two of my own, personal laptops. One was running a single core, Athlon TF-20 1.6ghz, that I upgraded to a dual core, Turion x2 TL-56 1.8ghz. And the other was a single core, AMD v120 2.2ghz, that I upgraded to a quad core, Phenom II p920 1.6ghz.

Both laptops ran reliably, after the upgrade, for many years.

Upgrade-able GPUs in laptops, on the other hand, are very rare.

With all of that said, I wouldn't bother upgrading anything in that laptop. If it were slightly newer, and if the prices were cheaper, then maybe...