Help Restore WDC 16tb WD160EMFZ Cyclic Redundancy

Hello,

So i had a working shucked 16Tb WDC WD160EMFZ

year ago i changed its clusters to 4K with HUGO utility, very easy.

But now i needed this drive for a certain box that doesnt like 4K drives, when they 4K for example no software can show their stats, but the moment i return back to 512, it all works.

I did the conversion in USB box and for some reasion it faild mid conversion.

From now on windows cant initialize the HDD, shows “DATA ERROR (Cyclyc Reduancy Check)”

I have Hard Disk Sentinel, so i tried to run build in hardware check

When i do “short test” i get: Error while starting the test: The error code is 1 (1808) E: 1117 A: E: -2

The Hard disk controller or its driver, dunot support this function.

Same error if i try long tests

The HDD info still shows 4K Advanced

If i try HUGO to convert again [now its sata connected] it just fails imidietly

If i try to connect this HDD with ANY USB, it shows some garble info

I think a firmware update might save it, but when can i get one?

Thanks

Anyone ideas?

How old is the drive? Changing sector size, I assume, causes every sector to be rewritten. If it is an old drive, maybe this was too much and killed it?

It doesn’t sound very good.

Maybe give this a shot? https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/52129-disk-clean-clean-all-diskpart-command.html

Its under 3 years but wasnt used, im on all SSD system and HDDs i keep for backup [I had a lot of them from my chia minig setup lol]
The HUGO command that changes the sectors is about 10 to 30 seconds and done.
I did all my shucked WD from 512 to 4K and many back to 512 because the USB raid box hated 4K and worked fine with 512
This is the only one that had such strange issue, but its my mistake i should not do sector change on USB dock, only SATA
Ill try the link that you sent, thanks

Yeah it sounds like maybe the sector size is defined in some meta data on the drive. My bad. Anyway 3 years is quite a young drive.

The way it looks like controller got f**d up, is this possible?
Otherwise why I cant initiate self test?

That was my other thought…