[Help] QEMU/KVM VLAN VM's networking

Bit of a QEMU/KVM and Linux noob here.
Recently i made the switch from Hyper-V.
I was able to convert my .vhdx’s to cow2 and this worked Great.

However i’m having a hard time understanding networking with QEMU/KVM or i guess linux altogether.
Basically what i’m trying to have is. I use VLAN14 and VLAN15
for my DEV network at home.

The way i have set this up, the VM’s are working on the correct VLANS.
However it just doesn’t feel like its right. Is this the correct method to provide these VM’s VLANS? I posted Screenshots from NMTUI and NM-connection-editor.

Any help is appreiciated.
The reason i bring this up is, i look on my DHCP server and the QEMU/KVM host is showing an IP address on every VLAN it is attached also the VM’s on the VLANs. So for instance. I have VLAN15 and VLAN14, not only do the VM’s have IP’s on these networks, also the host does as well. Resulting in the VM host having 5-6 IP’s.

Screenshot

For the bridge interfaces on the host you can set the ip settings to none. Not sure if you can do it in network manager but if you edit the /etc/network/interfaces file you just set them to manual instead of dhcp, like this:

auto brdmz0
   iface brdmz0 inet manual
   bridge_ports bond0.3
   bridge_stp off
   bridge_fd 0.0

There’s a gazillion ways of setting up networking to shuffle packets around.

Most people would use bridges and vlan slave interfaces, what @Dexter_Kane described is a common setup.

There’s a more complicated, and also more secure and more performant way of doing it: https://vincent.bernat.ch/en/blog/2017-linux-bridge-isolation . Bridge vlan filtering approach described there is a newer way of doing things and is not as widespread, but works nicely.

1 Like

Thanks, don’t think Manjaro has /etc/network not sure where it stores this.

I’ll give this a look thank you.