HELP! MikroTik switch drop packet (5%) - CRS326-24S+2Q+RM

I am pulling my hair out right now. My MikroTik switch(CRS326-24S+2Q+RM) is dropping packets. Connections are simple. pfSense(10G DAC)-> MikroTik Switch-> computer.

Ping from computers to pfSense, time out ~5%.
Ping from pfSense to my computer, no time out.
Ping from computer to switch mgmt, no time out.
Swap out the switch with TRENDnet , no time out.
Change NIC from ConnectX2 to ConnectX3 on pfSense, getting worse.(+50% time out)
Change DAC cable, same 5% time out.
Try disable all other ports on the switch, same 5% time out.

I can’t think anything to try now. Please help!!

Have you tried just a RJ45 instead of SFP DAC? Not all SFP ports work with all SFP modules / DAC cables, even though they should.

The only RJ45 port on this switch is the MGMT port. This is SFP+/QSFP switch.
And yes. tested with different DAC cable, fiber transceiver and SFP to RJ45 transceiver.

update the firmware and do a factory reset?

Also other than this issue how do you like the switch? I have been seriously looking at it since I am out of 10g ports on my CRS328-24P-4S+

Also are you using SwOS or RouterOS?

Firmware was up to date. Factory reset and +100mhz on CPU seems fixed the issue. Not sure which one tho.

Overall, I am ok with it. Just OK. 40Gbe port sometime don’t negotiate during system reboot, have to change the negotiation to 40Gbe then back to auto or physically unplug then plug back in.(FS DAC cable)

SwOS. There is no point to run router function on a Layer2+ switch. 10G uplink to a E3 pfsense can handle almost everything that I will every need for a home lab.

1 Like

Yeah Mikrotik is OK over all. Its a great value for all the functionality and performance but it comes with a lift due to its quirkyness.

Try bumping down the CPU and see if the issue returns? Should be a quick way to test.

It’s my core swatch. Don’t feel like to reboot it. On top of that, it can only be changed in the RouterOS.

LOL totally understand. I do suggest documenting the issue and raising a ticket just to be safe.

Document so you remember why you changed the frequency in 2 years, and send a ticket in case there is a race condition or bug that MikroTik can fix.

1 Like