Help Me To Not Blow Up a MacBook

I have a 2011 Macbook pro that I have dubbed the “HackBook” because of all the shit I’ve done to it, DIY charger, RAM upgrade, soldered a new bios chip because the computer had an EFI lock when I got it, among other things. The other day the computer shut down on me and I noticed that the aluminum case was bulging so I unscrewed the case to be greeted with a bloated cell peeking out of the battery. I removed the cell and disposed of it properly and I am now left with a battery that has 5 remaining cells, each put out 3.7 volts at 13.3wh (3600mah).

My question is this, am I going to break something or otherwise have a high chance of causing injury to myself if I solder a Samsung Note 3 battery in place of the missing cell? The battery puts out 3.8v at around 3200mah.

adding a non uniform mah battery with a different voltage could really screw up with the charging circuit. would undercharge the other batteries or even cause a reverse charge and damage cells.

Best bet would to be to buy a cell online (they’re really cheap) with the exact same mAh, voltage, and Amp limit.

3 Likes

Do you have a picture of the cells inside the battery casing?

1 Like

I was looking up cells that fit the exact specs but I couldn’t find much, do you know of an online retailer that can hook me up with a battery like that?

there should be a model number for the battery, embossed here.

1 Like

im trying to upload a photo but the web interface on my phone isnt the best

Here is the cell itself

Yeah Im having trouble finding the cell itself, but I did find some cheap replacements for the entire thing

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R1.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.X2011+macbook+pro+ba.TRS0&_nkw=2011+macbook+pro+battery&_sacat=0

Seems like around $30 is standard for that era of battery.

1 Like

thanks, I’ll go with that, and when that battery fails I can use parts from the battery I have now to frankenstein it. To me this whole thing is worth it because even after I spend that $30 I will have invested about $50 into the computer.

1 Like

Whenever you do do the battery cell swap, a forum guide would be cool to see.

2 Likes

sure, new topic or continue here? If a new topic what category should it go in?

1 Like

New topic under the blog section would be fine.