Help, I've bricked my motherboard (and how I managed to recover it)

So, long story short, I bricked my motherboard (Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate) trying to downgrade the BIOS to an older version (from 4.70 to 2.00).
Now I’m looking for some tips on recovering the bios.

I was following the steps described in this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzqwjVDKAnU

I have successfully followed above steps once before, the difference being that previously I was downgrading form BIOS version 3.20 and this time I was downgrading from version 4.70, in both cases to version 2.00.

Things went wrong at the last step when flashing the BIOS, ending with the following lines:

Verifying NVRAM Block ....... done
Erasing NCB Block ........... 0x00000000 (0%)
43 - Error: Problem erasing flash.

I tried reverting to the previously installed version with no luck, so then i tried to flash the older BIOS again, resulting in the same error. A this point is said “Fuck it, lets see what happens” and proceeded to reset the board (probably should have left it running).

Now the board is stuck in a boot loop. The board powers up cycles trough some post codes, gets stuck at post code “79”, waits a bit then power cycles it self. For post code 79 the manual says “Chipset initialization error. Please press reset or clear CMOS.” and doing that has no effect.

At this point I’m pretty sure that I’ll need to manually flash the bios if I want to save the board, but I’m assuming that there is more to it than just grabbing the rom file from asrock web site and writing it to the chip bit by bit.

Thanks, Any advice will be appreciated.

UPDATE: I got it working again

Ok, so I managed to software brick my motherboard by way of a failed bios downgrade using AFUEFIX64 tool (Trying to get back to a version with working PCIe passtrough). This is how I was able to recover from this situation:

Since my motherboard (ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate) doesn’t have any standalone BIOS recovery functionality (which should be a standard feauture on any reasonably speced motherboard) the recovery had to be done the hard way using an external programming tool.

I started by locating and identifying the flash chip that stores the BIOS/UEFI firmware. In my case the flash chip is a MX25U25645GI00 which is a 32MiB, 1,8V part with SPI interface, in a reasonably DIY friendly SOP-16 package. Factory soldered to the board of course (If board vendors don’t want to include stand alone FW recovery functionality, at least they should put the flash chip in a socket).

Now I needed a way to talk to the chip. One very popular option is to use a CH341a USB porgramer and since the my flash chip is a 1,8V part, I would also need a voltage converter adapter to go along with the programmer. These programmers aren’t expensive at all, but I’d have to order it and wait for it to arrive.

Instead I opted to use a RaspberryPi 3 running flashrom utility, which I already had on hand.

Now I could try to solder some fine wires to the chip while still mounted to the board. I found conflicting information weather the board should be on standby power or completely powered off and since I don’t know what other circuitry is present on those lines and how it would interact with my “programming tool”, I decided to just de solder the chip. This also made my future hack job flashing setup simpler to assemble and handle.

De soldering was done by first adding some good old leaded solder to the pins and then applying hot air while carefully trying to lift the chip with some tweezers without knocking over any other near by components. I had my hot air station set to 400°c and moderate air flow (so smaller components wouldn’t get blown away). After pulling the chip off, I cleaned the old solder from pads using some soldering flux and solder wick.

First I prepared the Pi by installing flashrom and enabling the SPI1 port by adding the following line in to /boot/config.txt:

dtoverlay=spi1-3cs

Then I powered off the RPi and proceeded to wire the flash chip to the Pis SPI1 port. Since RPi3 GPIO pins operate at 3,3V and the flash chip is a 1,8V part all signals that go from RPi to flash chip (CS, SCLK and MOSI) got connected trough simple resistor dividers (see below schematic) to bring the voltage levels down to something that won’t damage the 1,8V flash chip. The signal from flash chip to RPi (MISO) was wired directly (RPi3 specifications show the input logic high voltage threshold at 1,6V which is just low enough to accommodate the 1,8V output signals from flash chip).

Now that I had everything connected, I powered up everything and logged in to the Pi then ran the following command to see if flashrom can recognize the flash chip:

user@rpi3:~ $ sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev1.0,spispeed=1000
flashrom unknown on Linux 6.1.0-rpi6-rpi-v8 (aarch64)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at https://flashrom.org

Using clock_gettime for delay loops (clk_id: 1, resolution: 1ns).
Found Macronix flash chip "MX25U25635F" (32768 kB, SPI) on linux_spi.

Success, now to dump the existing corrupted flash image:

user@rpi3:~ $ sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev1.0,spispeed=1000 -r X470TU_fail_dump.rom

Now I was able to compare the corrupted flash image with a fresh image from ASRock using UEFITool, and one of the partitions (yes, apparently UEFI firmware has filesystems and partitions) was outright missing, its address space occupied by appropriately larger “Non-empty Padding”

There is also exactly 16MiB of “Empty (0xFF) Padding” at the end of the dumped corrupted flash image, so I also added the empty padding to the fresh image so that the flashrom wouldn’t complain about image and chip sizes not matching.

user@rpi3:~ $ sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev1.0,spispeed=1000 -w X470TU_2.00 
Error: Image size (16777216 B) doesn't match the expected size (33554432 B)!

With the padded image ready, I could now write it to the flash:

user@rpi3:~ $ sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev1.0,spispeed=1000 -w X470TU_2.00_padded.rom 

===
This flash part has status UNTESTED for operations: WP
The test status of this chip may have been updated in the latest development
version of flashrom. If you are running the latest development version,
please email a report to [email protected] if any of the above operations
work correctly for you with this flash chip. Please include the flashrom log
file for all operations you tested (see the man page for details), and mention
which mainboard or programmer you tested in the subject line.
Thanks for your help!
Reading old flash chip contents... done.
Erasing and writing flash chip... Erase/write done.
Verifying flash... VERIFIED.

and just to be sure, I read back the freshly written flash and compared the resulting dumped image:

user@rpi3:~ $ sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev1.0,spispeed=1000 -r X470TU_2.00_afterflash.rom

===
This flash part has status UNTESTED for operations: WP
The test status of this chip may have been updated in the latest development
version of flashrom. If you are running the latest development version,
please email a report to [email protected] if any of the above operations
work correctly for you with this flash chip. Please include the flashrom log
file for all operations you tested (see the man page for details), and mention
which mainboard or programmer you tested in the subject line.
Thanks for your help!
Reading flash... done.

user@rpi3:~ $ sha256sum X470TU_2.00_padded.rom X470TU_2.00_afterflash.rom 
938f4ca31686422521efc81f9fe25bcccc3bea0afc8d874cec76f949974629ab  X470TU_2.00_padded.rom
938f4ca31686422521efc81f9fe25bcccc3bea0afc8d874cec76f949974629ab  X470TU_2.00_afterflash.rom

Next I powered off my RPi and bench power supply, retrieved the flash chip from my hack job flashing setup and proceeded to solder it back on the motherboard. Soldering was done using a small tipped soldering iron and flux core leaded solder. No additional flux was needed and what was left got cleaned using some isopropanol.

The moment of truth has come, time to power up the board and se if it posts.

Hell yes, ti does!

1 Like

a lot of asrock boards have some sort of BIOS recovery option built in to them. it will either be called ‘Bios Flashback’ or ‘Crashless BIOS’ and they involve a FAT32 USB stick and then rename the bios file to CREATIVE.ROM and plug the board into power with the stick in a USB2 port.

if none of those are supported on that board you will need a ch431a controller programmer and one of the open source writing tools. (even if the programmer comes with a utility, it is recommended to NOT use the included utility)

3 Likes

Ouch. Fortunately I do believe that board has a BIOS flashback, so this should help:

Had a bios issue recently with my X570 Creator, bios upgrade failed went through but wouldn’t boot after (was 2nd one i did) then tried to flashback bios with that feature and it “worked” but the board still needed RMA

Sadly it seems like this board does not have a flashback option…

I could save my asrock h670 board with bios flashback. I was moving the pc around while it was flashing and pulled the power plug. No boot after that and flashback saved it for me.

Right, my mootherboard doesn’t seem to have any flashback functionality, so the BIOS will have to be flashed with some external tool like the ch4341a programmer @Zedicus mentioned or maybe a raspberry pi or something with SPI.

The flash chip on my motherboard is a 16pin MXIC MX25U25645G, wich is an 1,8V part that will not like being programed with a 3,3V v programming tool like ch341a so a voltage level shifter will also be needed.

I’ve seen people manualy flashing bios chips while still mounted to the motherboard (unpowered of course), so desoldering the flash chip may not be necessary.

The question I have right now is, where/how can I get a raw bios image file I can flash. Just grabbing the bios file from ASrock and flashing the chip seems a bit too easy. Can anyone give any advice with that?

Also I found sellers on ebay selling pre programmed flash chips for different motherboards. Maybe I could just by one and swap it out right. Has anyone had any experience going that route?

WFT… it is a freaking Taichi X470, I thought flashback was a standard on all premium AM4 boards. Guess not! -_-

I guess you could ask around at your local computer repair shop, they can probably resolve this. Otherwise, perhaps it is time to upgrade to one of these?

If you don’t have a programer you can also just get a other bios chip.

if you have the bios that you flashed over.
you might be able to recover.
put the old bios on your usb…
and flash off that.
the install should break at the same place, just quit and reboot.
hopefully this time when you reboot you should have over written the failed new bios.
with the original data of the old bios over writing the bad data.

if this recoveres enough to get you back to bios.
run the flash of the old bios again. hopefully it will complete and remove any bad data the new bios left.

or get a replacement bios chip as mongoosh links to.

1 Like

Always better then soldering on a a MB, I my self feel confident enough to solder a cable. If i need somthing on my MB solderd i go to somebody who is really really good at it :stuck_out_tongue:

by the way, there is a fat change that person also got a ic programer, and can help you fix it

Ups, it fell off!

2 Likes

After about half a day looking at the internet and since I didn’t feel like waiting till next year to get a programming tool or a replacement bios chip, I decided to try and hack together a programming setup using a raspberrypi and some things i have laying around, which resulted in this:

and after some anxiety filled flashing and soldering, I’m glad to say,

OH SHIT, IT WORKS!!

I’ll do a more detailed write up tomorow.

12 Likes

Nice, I would have just cut my losses here but glad you didn’t! :grin:

1 Like

“Just keep swimming”

Ok, as promised, I updated the first post with a write up on how I got it back working.

I went from “Oh fuck, I bricked my motherboard” to “Fuck yes, I manually flashed and recovered my first motherboard” in about a day or so.

If your flashing attempt goes wrong and your mother board doesn’t post, it isn’t e-waste, just the subsequent recovery flashing process is somewhat more involved :slight_smile:

2 Likes

tbh im a bit stunned you managed.
GG!.

1 Like