Help deploying linux servers in Hyper-V

I’m looking to move some of our servers from full fat Windows VMs to headless Linux VMs or containers. Everything is on premises.

I’ve played a lot with Proxmox at home and find it very easy to use, but we’re currently stuck with Hyper-V on all the servers and I’m wondering how I can integrate Linux into all this. I know I can just make a VM and install Linux on it. We have one service that is already set up like that. However I want to make that process easier.

What is the best way to simplify setting up a new Linux VM in Hyper-V? Can I make a template and just image the VM like I do in Windows with MDT? Or is there a more clean way to do this?

Hey vlad,

Typically I see people create a generalized image on a vhdx and then copy from that disk when creating a new vm. If i remember correctly you have to manually change the machine name among other things if you do it this way. You can use powershell scripts to glue things together.

Depending on the skillsets in your shop I would take a look at Vagrant for a better management and operational experience.

My answers might change if you provide more details but i hope this helps. cheers. :grinning:

What I’ve settled on doing is a PowerShell script that creates a VM in hyper-v, then mounts a modified Ubuntu iso that auto installs itself at first boot. That seems to be the best solution for us.