[Help] Computer Randomly Powers Off

Hey guys I have a custom built PC that I built about a year ago, so far it has worked great until today. Today my computer has been powering itself off out of no where whether I am playing a demanding game or just surfing the web, I have a few ideas about what is causing this after some research, (I should note that durring some power offs when I go to turn it on again an ASUS anti-power surge screen comes up then I continue to boot windows) it could be the PSU that may have crapped out although it has always worked just fine. Some people said it may have something to do with the wiring in my room but I have been using this computer for about a year and have had no real issues. Anyways thanks guys I appreciate any help!

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Mother Board: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 04G-P4-2983-KR 4GB SC GAMING w/ACX 2.0
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Series PH-ES614L_BK Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
PSU: Rosewill Hive 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Disc: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Might be an issue with the psu indeed.

I figured this is what the issue must be also thanks for a second opinion!

I agree with the above, although it could also be a heat issue. Though if your computer does not have dust piling up on the components
Example:

then it's definitely the PSU. EVGA has come out with some very reliable power supplies that aren't very expensive

Before we start blaming on the PSU.. check for other components that may be causing weird issues. Would start with the memory and running memtest86 overnight or two to see if there is any errors. Then start running with one stick in each channel, in both channels. If there is any problems with the memory replace it and probably replace the PSU as well.

I say this a lot.... People tend to not check the connectors from the PSU to the motherboard. Turn the PC on and wiggle the power cable going into the motherboard and see if the system shuts off. Do the same with the AC cord on the back, wiggle the end that goes into the PSU and then wiggle the end that goes into the wall. A lot of times I find that a bad PSU is either a bad cap or simply just the female Molex pins on the end of the PSU cable that goes into the motherboard.

If wiggling the PSU cable that goes to the motherboard causes it to shut off, then you'll need to bend the female sockets so that they make better contact with the pins on the motherboard.

Those can become loose over time and if the -PS_ON pin becomes too loose (usually the green wire) then your PC will just shut off randomly no matter what components you are testing.

[edit] Same can be said with the CPU fan. If it suddenly stops spinning because of a loose connection, or any other reason, the system may just shut off.

Thanks for all the responses! Truly an awesome community, the issue seems to be the surge protector I was using. As rsn10100 mentioned, my cable from the PSU to the surge protector was quite a bit wiggly on the surge protector end, after moving it just a bit the computer would turn off right away. I have switched the surge protector with a different one and everything is working fine so far, a silly mistake on my part. Thanks again for the help everyone.

1 Like

Awesome. Most people forget to check the simple things. GG

\o/