Help compiling dolphin?

setting up linux isn't hard it just takes a long time when you have alot of files to move and a slow dsl connection.

1 Like

I've been using Linux for a while, but I'm a command line noob. I normally just go for PPA's vs trying to fail my way through building from source. I know it isn't recommended and the antithesis of what command line elitists expect from Linux users, but I'm cool with them hating me. If it was really that bad then PPA's wouldn't exist.

Seems like the Dolphin PPA has some recent builds.

Wow that looks like a lot of work...Slackware we just use the package manager uninstall what we don't want and install what we do want...I suppose one could do it manually but...I am far too much a slacker to actually do any work. :slight_smile:

after trying to build arch I can safely say it's every bit as bad as I expected it to be. I could barely get it working with any desktop except lightdm and xfce4. not to mention it's missing many basic pacakges and configureations needed to compile stuff from source. I even switched to manjaro hoping things would be easier and for the most part it was. but even it is giving me a hard time instaling the driver for my wireless card.

I'm not even sure what to do with this.

sudo dkms build mt7610u_sta/1.0
Error! echo
Your kernel headers for kernel 4.9.20-1-MANJARO cannot be found at
/usr/lib/modules/4.9.20-1-MANJARO/build or /usr/lib/modules/4.9.20-1-MANJARO/source.

https://github.com/xtknight/mt7610u-linksys-ae6000-wifi-fixes < what I'm trying to install currently.

yes, that's the point of arch, to only give you the bare minimum and you configure everything else.

OP, why didn't you just stick with what you know (Mint)?

I'm pretty dissappointed as telling OP to install arch is not a solution.

For your original issue with GCC, from gcc.gnu.org.

Dynamic linker is unable to find GCC libraries

This problem manifests itself by programs not finding shared libraries they depend on when the programs are started. (This often shows around libstdc++.)

GCC does not specify a runpath so that the dynamic linker can find dynamic libraries at runtime.

The short explanation is that if you always pass a -R option to the linker, your programs become dependent on directories which may be NFS mounted, and programs — even those which do not require these directories — may hang unnecessarily when an NFS server goes down. (SunOS effectively always passed a -R option for every -L option; this was a bad idea, and it was removed for Solaris.)

However, if you feel you really need such an option to be passed automatically to the linker, you may add it to a GCC specs file. This file can be created using gcc -dumpspecs and passed to GCC using the -specs= option. You may add linker flags such as -R or -rpath, depending on platform and linker, to the *link or *lib specs.

Alternately the syntax -Wl,option can be used to ask GCC to transfer the flag option to the linker.

Another alternative is to install a wrapper script around gcc, g++ or ld that adds the appropriate directory to the environment variable LD_RUN_PATH or equivalent (again, it's platform-dependent).

The page I linked is worth a read but the last paragraph is what we need to look it. As that is how we would be able to specify the location of a modern GCC/G++ version.

For your current issue, don't install from github it seems to be a tad too difficult for you, instead stick with the AUR.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mt7610u_wifi_sta/?comments=all

That is where you will get things started. Notice, that on the AUR the required deps are list.

To install from the AUR, do the following:

#always update first
sudo pacman -Syu
#good practice has us install in a /home/$USER/build directory,
#create one to stay organized.
#$USER = your user name
cd build
git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/mt7610u_wifi_sta.git wifi-driver
cd wifi-driver
#this will install required deps
makepkg -si
#follow the on-screen prompts
1 Like

thanks for the useful info but even with the arch repo version the result is the same.

Starting build()...
patching file chips/mt76x0.c
patching file chips/rtmp_chip.c
patching file common/rtusb_io.c
patching file common/txpower.c
patching file mcu/mcu.c
patching file mcu/mcu_and.c
patching file os/linux/cfg80211.c
patching file common/rtusb_dev_id.c
make: Entering directory '/home/user/build/wifi-driver/src/mt7610u_wifi_sta'
make -C tools
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/user/build/wifi-driver/src/mt7610u_wifi_sta/tools'
gcc -g bin2h.c -o bin2h
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/user/build/wifi-driver/src/mt7610u_wifi_sta/tools'
/home/user/build/wifi-driver/src/mt7610u_wifi_sta/tools/bin2h
chipset = mt7610u
cp -f os/linux/Makefile.6 /home/user/build/wifi-driver/src/mt7610u_wifi_sta/os/linux/Makefile
make -C /lib/modules/4.9.20-1-MANJARO/build SUBDIRS=/home/user/build/wifi-driver/src/mt7610u_wifi_sta/os/linux modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/user/build/wifi-driver/src/mt7610u_wifi_sta'
make[1]: *** /lib/modules/4.9.20-1-MANJARO/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/user/build/wifi-driver/src/mt7610u_wifi_sta'
make: *** [Makefile:404: LINUX] Error 2
make: Leaving directory '/home/user/build/wifi-driver/src/mt7610u_wifi_sta'
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
Aborting...

the $USER is not /home/user its your username.

Sorry, should've specified that.

EDIT: I have updated my post to reflect these changes.

EDIT2:
@thorium233 make sure you have headers installed.

sudo pacman -S linux-headers

it is under my user name I just changed it to user when I posted it.

1 Like

see edit2

it installs the wrong headers should be 4.9.20 not 4.9.24.

$ sudo pacman -S linux-headers
[sudo] password for user:
warning: linux49-headers-4.9.24-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) linux49-headers-4.9.24-1

Total Installed Size: 50.72 MiB
Net Upgrade Size: 0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity [######################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space [######################] 100%
:: Running pre-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Remove DKMS modules
==> dkms remove mt7610u_sta/1.0 -k 4.9.24-1-MANJARO
Error! There is no instance of mt7610u_sta 1.0
for kernel 4.9.24-1-MANJARO (x86_64) located in the DKMS tree.
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) reinstalling linux49-headers [######################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Install DKMS modules
==> dkms install mt7610u_sta/1.0 -k 4.9.24-1-MANJARO
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.9.24-1-MANJARO (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/mt7610u_sta/1.0/build/make.log for more information.
(2/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...

looks like its grabbing the latest headers (default option.)

get specific version by doing:

sudo pacman -S linux-headers-4.9.20

no luck.

sudo pacman -S linux-headers-4.9.20-1
[sudo] password for user:
error: target not found: linux-headers-4.9.20-1

sudo pacman -S linux-headers-4.9.20
error: target not found: linux-headers-4.9.20

wait, you're on manjaro right? maybe we need to specifiy manjaro in the name of the headers as well.

Could you post the results of

uname -a

$ uname -a
Linux q67server 4.9.20-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Mar 31 17:49:34 UTC 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux

manjaro has a specific page for dealing with kernels it seems.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Manjaro_Kernels

I'm a bit confused as to why your doing all this and not just using the dolphin ppa?

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Installing_Dolphin#Ubuntu

Are we not even on Ubuntu anymore.. this thread is just the epitomy of bad advice. (With the exclusion of @Dynamic_Gravity's help)

1 Like

hes on manjaro now.

But yeah, the PPA would've been hella easy compared to this.

@thorium233 I feel like we're close. Just need to get the right headers. Did you take a look at the manjaro page I linked?

I agree.
though the version of dolphin on the PPA wasn't working when I tried it. so I figured I might as well I'd try my luck with another build.

@Dynamic_Gravity
yes I'm reading through it now.

Worth checking what kernel is installed (not running). Headers usually update with the kernel but won't work until your using that kernel on reboot.

@thorium233 it's not mentioned in the thread so I wasn't sure. The arch solution was awful advice :confused: but at least your learn some command stuff I guess lol