Help: Autodesk Vault professional 2024 hardware specing out

Hello,

I’m in the same case than the topics [Help specing out a server for Autodesk Vault]. from @ [pball].

Our server for vault 2021 is slow. For now, We run vault pro 2021 and MS SQL standard on a Xeon 5218 with 32Gb ram…

We plan to get 2024 in the next weeks.
I would like to determinate what kind of hardware i should buy. I would like some advice on suitable equipment.

If I understood the other topic correctly, it is better to buy a CPU with a little number of core but fast Hz. Do you have a model in mind that works well?

Is it better to take Xeon or Epyc?
Is it better to take SSD or HDD or NVME? with SAS?

I saw a remark speaking about “Bare metal”. If I understand it well, It’s mean that we must not install VMware on the server but windows directly???

I can add a server rack 1U or 2U or a stand alone… whats better?
Thanks for your time.
Guillaume

What is slow about your current server? This will help make a decision on what to upgrade. How many users? How large is the database?

I would say your current cpu is a little older but with 16 cores should handle vault fine. Maybe you don’t have enough ram or there is something else bogging down the system.

Are you also running the job processor on the same system? (like on a different VM)

(your name makes me wonder, are you working for a cryogenic company?)

Thanks for your reply.

The files opening and updates are very long…
I run some test by disconnecting the rj45 of the station. Once we work 100% on local machine the time to open is clearly shorter. We generaly work on big assembly with 2000/3000 parts.

The job processor is on an old workstation.

You think our old CPU can handle vault 2024?

And no I’am not in cryogenic compagny at all :slight_smile:

I think the speed is not all that limited by the cpu. I worked at a company in 2019 where i could open the same large assemblies. Changes are not that big in the system.

It does sound like it might be an issue with a large database that doesn’t fit into memory, a faster cpu might make the database more responsive.

I would definitely first look at the system and check what the problem is coming from. Look at memory use, how large is the database, is the main drive with the database a hard drive or ssd? What does the cpu usage do when you open the file on the other computer?

This will tell you where the bottle neck lies and what you need to spend money on in the computer.

To give you an overview:

If there are only a couple of users, a low corecount fast cpu will be fine. go for 64 or 128gb ram depending on how large the database is (sql will always fill up the memory). mirror nvme ssd’s for windows and database store. and Raidz/5 or Raid1 sata ssd’s for the datastore (depending on how large it is)

Also make sure that you actually have a 1gbit connection to the server, a 100mbit connection can slow things down a lot.

2 Likes

How are CPU, RAM and disk ques looking? Anything maxed out?

Network congestion, maybe?

1 Like

I have 60% of 32Gb ram used permanently when server waiting…
the database is 13Go. I count 12/15Gb for the OS and Vault so we should have something responsive but no…
I’m going to take a look to the cable RJ45 maybe there are some old…

a good test is to open task manager, delete the large assembly out of your workspace and then download it again in the vault client.

You should see how much network connection is being used in the task manager, it should be full 1gbit or about 100mb/s.