[Help] Any Asrock B650D4U or Gigabyte MC13 owners? Need your experience!

Not sure if this is worthy of its own forum post but does anybody have any experience with either Asrock B650D4U and its multiple variations or Gigabyte MC13? Been trying to come up with a reasonable rack mounted NAS/Homeserver build based on either Ryzen 7000 or Intel 12/13th gen (leaning towards Ryzen for possible future upgradability).

Both boards seem to have pretty bad reviews on Amazon dot de but don’t know of any other boards that would offer features like IPMI while also having enough PCIe slots to fit a single HBA and a network card (sadly both boards only come with 1 or 10 gig internet while my current setup is routed for 2.5 gig)

Welcome!

Personal opinion ahead so feel free to add salt:
Amazon reviews are almost worthless, between the generally low technical aptitude of the reviewers on that specific site and the astroturfing that goes on I don’t put much weight in amazon reviews.

Lately Gigabyte seems to be releasing unpolished server boards that I personally would stay away from.
Asrock Rack boards are good and I’d recommend them, sometimes their availability isn’t great though.

Have you considered the supermicro Ryzen 7000 motherboard, the H13SAE-MF?
This is the motherboard I got for my NAS.

Tyan also has an AM5 offering with IPMI but I don’t have any experience with it.

2 Likes

I’ve been running an MC13-LE1 for about a month as a forbidden router, works great.

I researched server boards for AM5 a while ago. From what I remember of the many Asrock discussions at ServeTheHome, at the time of initial release, the B650D4U-* boards were full of potential but often suffered from manufacturing issues, making it a frustrating journey.

As @twin_savage suggested, I, too, would recommend the Supermicro H13SAE-MF - even if it’s more expensive than the Asrock boards - as your best bet for a plug-and-play AM5 setup. Note that all the boards allow bifurcating the x16 PCIe slot into x4x4x4x4, so if you’re using a full-sized ATX case, there will be opportunities to use more than two PCIe expansion devices.

If you have plenty of time to experiment within the 30-day return window, you could try the Asrock board out. Note that the BCM variants with dual 10GBASE-T connectivity DO NOT support 2.5/5 GbE (BCM57416).

1 Like

Thanks for the replies people!

To answer @twin_savage and @qqk specifically:
My main reason for going either Asrock or Gigabyte originally was for their relatively easy availability compared to supermicro boards here in Europe (at least from my previous experience). The H13SAE-MF board looks pretty decent option though and in a worst case senario I can always try to import one from the States or Far East.

When it comes to ethernet, I am fully aware of 10GBASE-Ts lack of capability to negotiate down to 2.5 gig speeds and thats why I did mention about adding a specific 2.5 gig card in my original post (could also use an M.2 hack).

Once again thank you everyone, you have been a great help to me thus far!

1 Like

If you can live without IPMI the Asus ProArt X670E-CREATOR WIFI is a very competent board.
I would also consider the slow adoption on AGESA a warning sign looking that the Asrock one at least.

a
In the US, it’s Gigabyte server boards that are often not easily available!

In the EU, you may want to try Anafra, who’s a big-time SuperMicro distributor: https://smicro.eu/

And BTW, for boars that use the Intel X550/X710 to provide 10GBASE-T, both of those will also work with 2.5/5G compared to the Broadcom/BCM ones.

1 Like

Does it offer ECC support (UDIMMs)?

And any block diagram for that board? Couldn’t find one in the manual (kinda used to that from server/workstation boards)

1. Yes, search the forums and ProArt X670E-CREATOR WIFI|Motherboards|ASUS Global
  2. Not that I’m aware of but you can probably get a gist of it by looking at the manual