[HELP]Abhorently slow write speeds on a brand new drive

Are you, by chance, indexing this drive after the transfer of data?

Or something notoriously touches the disk all the time.

I have already asked him about indexing :slight_smile:
At the first glance, it looks like if something touches the disk all the time… :confused:

1 Like

Well there is BITS

Time to fire up perfmon and see what’s hitting the disk then.

@jimgordon Windows doesn’t allow me to format it in anything other than NTFS or FAT32 on unallocated space of the same drive.

@TimHolus I don’t see anything physically touching the drive, if that’s what you mean.

@Adubs I don’t know how to operate the perfmon so I’ll look into it later.

I will be providing more screenshots below.

New 10GB partition in NTFS since exFAT was absent from the options.

This is the drive properties in windows explorer itself.

I don’t quite honestly remember anything about the indexing.

Those SSD speeds look perfectly fine to me if the ssd is a sata one.
So yeah maybe try to defrag the hdd again.

1 Like

@MisteryAngel The SSD scores were there to show that the problem is only within that one drive. I did defrag couple of times and it doesn’t really help any further.

Replying to everyone else now.

This is during ATTO 48MB test, I could also record the program going through the process while recording’s output is going to other drive, if you want to see it in action.

And this is the ATTO results. on main partition of the disk.

The speeds are kind of inconsistent, though maybe it’s writing on that zeroed out part again but I wouldn’t know.

Hey there @MrSmiley did you get an solution to this? I have a similar issue but even worse results with one of my 2 st2000dm008 drives.
I’ve only joined this forum to see if there is an answer.
Regards

Basically from what I understood it has something to do how drives like that function, since it’s SMR, rather than PMR drive. I might be wrong but that’s what I gathered.

TL;DR, it functions as it should.

This topic was automatically closed 270 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.