Headset not working in Windows 10 guest, help

So I recently built a new PC and I wanted Ubuntu as my main OS and to run a Windows 10 VM for gaming until gaming natively on Linux has improve more, I followed this guide,

and a few others to set up my VM and it works really well however I cant get my headset (Steelseries Arctis Pro+Gamedac) to work on the Virtual Machine, the problem seems to be that when I try to go to Add Hardware>USB Host Device, there’s two drivers named same thing (one is for Game audio and the other is for Chat audio, they have their own PCI address’s). If anyone knows a fix or know how to change the name of one of the drivers, that would be awesome.

Side note when I do apply them while the pc is on WIndows sees them, sends audio to them but the Gamedac doesn’t receive any, if I add them while the VM is off then when I boot up the VM VirtManager deletes one of the drivers and the headset wont work without both drivers. When I go to device manager there are three device that dont have drivers and I cant figure out where to get them, the devices are HID Button over Interrupt Driver, Multimedia Audio Controller, and a PCI Device. I also have very little know-how on Linux.

When you connect a device such as a headset it can be operated in several ways:
1 - as a headset bi directional audio split bandwith (less fidelity bi directional)
2 - as headphones single channel full bandwidth (higher fidelity single direction)

There are separate drivers based on what role you select for your device.

If you are having trouble with hearing sound from your virtual boxed windows build look to see if the USB port is being properly forwarded out of your V Box. Windows is notorious for having issues with forwarded ports/resources. They refuse to even consider supporting the idea that they will not be the main os and they do love to micro manage things. This usually manifests with issues when they have to wait on a shared resource.

how would I check that?

First off which virtual box are you using?

Sorry just woke up, if you are following Gray’s guide you are probably using KVM. Give me a min to look up the controls.

I found this post that should help you verify that you have your USB device forwarded.

http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/USB_Host_Device_Assigned_to_Guest

I personally have never used KVM so someone/anyone else is most likely more qualified to answer KVM specific questions.

I have however VirtualBoxed windows on Linux and I had similar problems getting my USB headset to work. It turned out that properly forwarding the USB ports and making sure my copy of windows was fully updated fixed my problem.

I hope this helps

1 Like

ill have to do more research into it to figure out whats exactly whats wrong but when i put the command line in i get this in response,

bash: /usr/bin/qemu-kvm: No such file or directory

which probably means i did something wrong while setting up the KVM.

Yeah that sounds like a pathing issue of some sort. I would check your directory structure.

So i figured out what I was doing wrong, I forgot to use, sudo nano etc. and thats why i was getting that message. How ever it didnt work either way so my problem must be something else, thanks for the suggestion tho.

Update. I also noticed that when i open the headset properties in Windows and i go to the levels tab the volume lvl is set to zero and I cant turn it up

1 Like