Headphones

What are some of the best headphones you've used? I'm looking to buy a new pair at the moment, probably around the sub $40 range. Currently I'm thinking of getting either the JVC RX-700's or Audio-Technica ATH-M30 (anyone ever used these?) I'm a little embarassed to say that I enjoyed the bass on Beats by Dre, but I do enjoy good base and sound quality, those things are still overpriced though.

I personally own a pair of the ATH-M30's, and honestly the best headphones I've ever purchased, granted I don't usually spend more than $40 for a pair. The sound is crisp, and the has deep, but balanced bass so it doesn't overpower any other range. It's one of those headphones where you'll listen to a song you've heard a million times and go "hey, I've never noticed that instrument/sound before" As for the longevity, I ordered them 4/15/12, and not the slightest sign of wear and tear. They are built to last. My only gripe is the cord length, but that's easily fixed with a rubber band or a hair tie.

Here is my review:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R15HH4HYO3SXWU/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00007E7C8&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

I honestly can't say enough good about them, especially for the money.

Awesome thank you! I'm defnitely gonna pick up a pair, they look awesome and are outstandingly priced. I kind of wish they had twistable earcups, that seem's to be a M50 exclusive though. I agree that the cord length is too long, gonna stick some velcron on them. These babies are gonna replace my current pair of Koss earbuds which a friend gave to me.

I've heard good things about the M30's. I have a pair of ATH-M50's myself. Amazing-sounding headphones, but they are over your price range.

Check out Koss PortaPro's. They're on-ear headphones but they sound amazing! They have great sound quality in general but also some impressive bass. Also they look very unique, for whatever that's worth.

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-Headphones-with-Case/dp/B00001P4ZH

The thing about the M30's I dislike is the extra long cord, which I'll braid, and the fact that the ear cups do not rotate, not a big issue really. I've heard the PortaPro's have astonishing sound but the aesthetics don't win me over. I know that's a shallow thing to say.

They do feel very flimsy. I feel like they'll break if they fall of my head every time I wear them.

You should check out Sony XB series. They sound good, though not as good as PortaPro's. They have a great, full-sounding bass to them. I had a pair of XB300's, the smaller version in the series. You could probably find them now for around $30. Had 'em for about 3 years. They're made of cheap plastic but they're pretty durable and light. They were also the most confortable headphones I've had.

The Koss KSC75 sound much much crisper than the Portapros. If you have the Portapros, try the KSC75's. You will notice a big difference.

The XB400's are cheaper than the XB300's, Also the ATH-M40's cost the same as the XB400's. Don't know which of these to buy, both seem to have ridiculously good sound and comfort. Both also have rotating ear cups, which is a big plus for me.

Nice! I was about to make a thread on this as well. I think I'm gonna get the JVC HA-RX700 instead of the m30s, since they look better imo and people say they're better on head-fi

Stay the hell away from Beats; they are $40 headphones, put in a $200 price-bracket.

For your budget, you won't get that good of headphones. You might look into a pair of Sennheiser HD205s, or Audio Technica M30s. I only trust Sennheiser for my headphones, and will hopefully be getting a pair of HD800s when I sell off my years of stuff, junk, and crap I have been holding on to for no real reason. Here's hoping; I would like to offset some of the cost.

Lol don't worry, I wouldn't dare buy Beats. The M30's are my first choice, they're attractively priced and the reviews make them seem legendary. Those HD800's have a pretty hefty price tag.