Headphones for $220 maximum

So I've been wanting to buy some new headphones over the last month, thus I saved up some money to raise my budget. The main use is primarily going to be gaming, but I do produce music tracks and watch movies a lot. I've been looking through the webs and I found some pretty good headphones, but the one that caught my eye was the Sennheiser HD 598.

Would you guys recommend that? If not, what should I buy then?

What kinds of music do you listen to, and what will be driving the headphones?

My music preferences vary from rock, hard rock, heavy metal, progressive rock, alternative rock to new wave, reggae, electronic music, dubstep, techno, house, drum and bass and pop. An Asus Essence STX is probably going to be running them.

Im gonna recommend them again, look up the mmx 300 and then beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80s almost the same thing without a mic. Then buy a clip on zalman or thermaltake(thermaltake's site) mic.

I have had these for about two years or so, and I have loved them the whole time - http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-780-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101XVH2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370393074&sr=8-1&keywords=ultrason+hfi-780 (Ultrasone HFI-780). They went down in price hugely since I bought them (hovering around half of what they were) so I would say that's an amazing deal. 

not going to post my headphone rant, as you appear to have done your research.

i personally have not heard the senheizers that you posted, but its a great company, and i have liked all their open headphones that heard in person. however... my general recomendation would be to get the beyerdynamic dt 770 pro's (or 990 if you want open headphones). if you go for the 80 ohm i would recommend getting an amp / an audio card with a built in amp... if you go with the 320 ohm (or whatever it is) you WILL NEED ONE. (where as you dont NEED one with the 80 ohm, but it will sound better).

higher impedance (ohms) generally will give you a slightly brighter sound

I use the audio-technca ath-anc9, they are the most comfy headphones I have ever tried out (memory foam pads), good sound (maybe a bit flat for some types of music but nothing an equaliser won't solve). They also have noise cancelling with has a passive function when off saving you many, many battery’s. Lastly they are especially durable.

V-Moda m80s are good as well (I have the m100s)

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-AMS-DT-990-Pro-250-Professional-Acoustically-Applications/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370483511&sr=1-1&keywords=Beyerdynamic+AMS-DT-990-Pro-250

For some reason the pro models are cheaper than the normal now.

I like the audio technica ath-m50 for the price they're some of the best you can get.