Headless PCI Passthrough Program Name Vote

Looking glass is a great name for this but kinda taken: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Looking_Glass

If it was ever made a commercial brand name Oracle probably sits on it today, so check the legal stuff closely in case you go for it… (though I believe that as long it is a non-profit project it should be ok)

Can we get a compromise?

The project name be theia but the actual name be KVMFR

2 Likes

Remember:

I completely understand the concern with calling it KVMFR, and this will be taken into consideration in the selection.

3 Likes

neat and thanks for the response :smiley:

+1 for Reflection, since it makes sense. Its getting a copy, a reflection, of memory mappings. So the action it performs is clear in the name.

1 Like

The problem with that statement for me is that before they use this product they need to learn about KVM, IOMMU and maybe some qemu so i don’t see why KVMFR would be the big “no, not touching that”. they also need to find out that it is “Kernel virtual machine” they need and not “Keyboard Video Mouse” Switch

1 Like

Don’t forget there’s also virt-manager and npt and other stuff which might involve running your own kernel.

2 Likes

And… “Linux”, that’s a scary word too :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Frame Buffer Relay or KVM-FBR :slight_smile:

Yep, those Female Body Investigators have a tendency to put you on watchlists for using it.

1 Like

In DevOps there are already way to many trendy, but non-descriptive names. A short, simple, descriptive name is, in my opinion, less off putting than a something that gives no indication to the use case of the tool. Also, the more simplistic name is far easier to search for.

3 Likes

No diss, but what about those:

Virtuoso

MagiKVM

We’re voting on the ones in the poll. Adding more at this point will just make it more confusing.

4 Likes

really happy Looking Glass gets such a good reception :smiley:

KVMFR is a good technical name stiff but it sounds soo… boring

i would like looking glass to be the window title on the host… looks friendlier than
"KVM Framebuffer Relay"

1 Like

Agreed. We’ll see what happens on the 3rd.

2 Likes

Voting has now closed, thank you everyone who participated.

After careful consideration I believe a combination of the top two names will be acceptable, both to cover those who like the specific acronym, and those that wan’t an easy to remember name.

The project will be called “Looking Glass” and the technology will be named “KVM FrameRelay (KVMFR)”.

15 Likes