Headless GPU gaming on bare metal Ubuntu?

I have a PC with an NVIDIA Tesla K20m GPU that I wanted to use for gaming. I’m running it alongside an ATI FirePro V4800 solely for video output. Surprisingly enough, so long as you install the proprietary NVIDIA drivers, it’s actually able to Just Werk with most things once you go into NVIDIA X Server Settings and select Performance mode under PRIME settings. However, many Steam games, particularly games that rely on Proton, do not work. For example, Spyro: Reignited Trilogy will boot the first few opening animations, then say “fatal error” and crash. I actually found a Steam community post discussing this and was able to use some command line parameters to force WINE to rely on openGL instead of Vulkan and use DX11, but this obviously resulted in reduced performance.

Because this seems to be a problem on several games, I was wondering if anyone might have insight into what’s causing this and offer up possible solutions. I’d also like to point out that if I were to passthrough my K20m to a VM running Ubuntu, these games will literally just work with no fuss. So it probably has something to do with the way I’m dealing with video output (with 2 GPUs)? Any expertise on this would be greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

Please see this thread:

I think you can use a VM/looking glass to accomplish this, this was the original way I was trying to get teslas working but I couldn’t figure it out because I’m a Linux noob

Prime is the Linux version of Optimus which is what I used for teslas

Ey… here we go, Giga is here. He’s been doing this for some time now.

Yeah, I’ve already messed around with VMs a bit. The actual GPU passthrough works basically perfectly, but I have severe network and disk speed issues with the VMs that make them undesirable. Also, I’d prefer that I just keep everything on one bare metal host.

I did actually look at that post Giga made before writing this, but I didn’t go that far into it because it seemed to be Windows only, and I’m trying to accomplish this on Linux/Ubuntu since that’s also what I’m hosting my personal services on.

I also had a look at a post by a person called Carlos_Sarria, who got an m40 running under Manjaro. As far as I could tell, I was running about an equivalent setup on Ubuntu and still had these issues. Maybe I should give Manjaro or an arch based distro a shot, though i’m not sure if it would make a huge difference seeing how the post was made in January of 2022 and I’m running Ubuntu 22.04, so I doubt the packages they were running are much newer than mine, if at all.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.