HD 7970 GHz Edition 3Gb GDDR5 v. HD 7970 GHz Edition 6Gb GDDR5

Hello All,

So I am curious about something for a possible build, and I have a few questions about 3Gb GDDR5 v. 6Gb GDDR5.

1)     Is there a visible difference, in games, between 3Gb GDDR5 v. 6Gb GDDR5?

2)     If there is a difference Is that difference worth $100+ (i.e. going over budget/changing other parts to allow for purchase/ect)?

3)     Does that difference change if you are using crossfire (i.e. larger margin/no change/ect)?

These are the two cards that I was curious about:

6Gb - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202005

3Gb - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202001

Again, this is just out of curiosity for a possible build.

The only main difference would be that the 6gb would be better at multimonitor gaming, if you're only doing single monitor, it's not worth the extra money.

The only benefit to having that much ram on a GPU would be for running Eyefinity (Triple monitor gaming). If you're only running a single monitor, the 6gb card isn't worth it. And if you put two cards together in Crossfire, they won't share ram (if you get two 3gb cards, you still only have 3gb of ram, not 6).

To clarify the CF questions, would having 2 6Gb have a better output then having 2 3Gb cards?

The performance would be exactly the same. The only difference is that you would have more GPU ram available, which would help with triple monitor gaming. If you're only using a single monitor, a single 7970 GHz Edition with 3GB would suit your needs perfectly. By the way, how many monitors do you have, and what resolution?

I have two (primary and a secondary off to the side).  I belive the primary is 1920 x 1080.

A single 7970 would be just right for you. Even the most demanding games nowadays use less than 1.5GB of GPU ram at 1080p. 

So If I went the rought of 3 monitors (Eyefinity) I should look at the 6Gb, or would the 3Gb still be able to handle it? 

I am thinking about the next gen of games 2014-2016 (if we can predict that far)

Depends on what you need it to do. With multi-monitor gaming, having the most VRAM you can afford is actually worth it, but on just about everything else on a single monitor will run about the same. Except Skyrim with lots of mods. Those chew up VRAM.

Basically, this is just Sapphire's response to the Titan, so unless you feel like Crossfiring them together to prove a point that you have lots of money lying around, then it certainly isn't worth it.

Ok, what about future proofing?  Would it be worth the 6Gb in the long run. If I am trying to build a computer that will last me the next 5 years (like my last machine), and in that time, be able to play future games on High+ settings? 

My current computer (Phenom II X4 955 with 2 HD 4990's (OC'd) in crossfire) is still able to play things like Skyrim on max settings. 

Not to be nitpicky here, but the 6 GB 7970 isn't a "response" to the Titan, since they released it way back in September.

More like, it's serving the same market. I'm assuming that's what you meant.

I think the 7970 will be outclassed in processing power before 3GB of VRAM becomes a bottleneck. If it makesanydifference in the long term, it's probably not a $100 difference.