Have more USB3 headers from case than I can connect to motherboard

Hi, I’m new(b) to PC building, but loving every minute. So I purchased a case with many USB 3 motherboard header connection cables, but my motherboard only has one location for USB 3 header. Is there any way to expand this so I may use all the available USB3 ports in my case? Thanks so much.

You can get a PCIe expansion card for about 20 bucks. They all seem to put at least 2 extra ports on the back, but most of them have an internal 20-pin header. Unfortunately, the only name-brand cards I can find (Rosewill) don’t have the internal header.

These should work, but judging from the reviews, it sounds like the drivers don’t work for some people. So YMMV.

I think that’s the only way to add a USB3.0 internal header.

1 Like

Thank you, my case a Lian Li, has four USB 3 ports on the front with two cables, but my motherboard only has one header, I just wanted to know if there is a way to add another USB3 header to the motherboard by using a split cable from the motherboard and then to the USB3 ports so I connect all the devices I need to at times…sorry I know my description is probably not up-to-par

Huh, what do you know…you can buy a y-splitter for the 20-pin internal header.

I have no idea how this will work for you tbh. Maybe all the ports on the front panel will operate at half-bandwidth, or maybe they’ll operate at full speed unless you load two “paired” ports at once. Or maybe it’ll short out each pair of ports? Hopefully somebody who knows can chime in.

USB does not support passive switching, so I would go with an add-in card.

2 Likes

It’s very rare that someone can find an item online that I can not, but you Sir, are a beast of research and knowledge. I realize I may just have to convert two ports to USB 2.0 but this gives me an interesting option and I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

1 Like

Let me know if it works! Now I’m really curious.

I will, if I can get through cable delivered through the “storm of Corona, 2020!” ha-ha. Thanks again so much!

Those cheap cards share bandwidth across all the ports while still consuming a whole PCIe slot. You are better off buying something like the Sonnet Allegro Pro (for USB 3.1 Gen 1) or High Point RocketU 1344A (for USB 3.1 Gen 2) which has dedicated controllers and full bandwidth per port. The Sonnet USB 3.1 Gen 2 card does not have full bandwidth like the Gen 1 card.

Did you end up getting that 20 pin usb 3.0 splitter cable and does each port work efficiently?

I ended up purchasing it cause I ran into the same issue. Unfortunately, it wasn’t able to recognize anything. It realized that something was attempting to connect to the computer, but windows failed to recognize what was connecting. I attempted USB flash drives, external hard drives, my phone and a few other things, but got the same error for all of them regardless of what port I plugged them in. Super disappointed, but after searching a little more on the internet, I guess a single USB 3.0 header can only support 2 USB ports (not 4). From my experience it seems that there are really only two options if you need 2 USB 3.0 headers and only have 1:

1. Get a PCI-E card with an internal 3.0 header
  2. Get an adapter to convert the USB 3.0 port into a USB 2.0 port and connect to a USB 2.0 header.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.