Have a similar question regarding rackmounting with ears only...21 pounds, 11" deep, 4U?

Hey again another question…I am rackmounting my AV receiver, and it is a 21 pound, 4U tall unit. the rackmount kit for it has no rails…safe to mount 4U, 21 pounds, 11" deep?

I myself prefer to put stuf like that on tray’s that also can be mounted in the back

1 Like

but if that is the oficial raikit. it must hold

I dunno, i just dealt with a 30 pound, 1U cyberpower UPS that only came with ears and no rails, absolutely insane they expect to mount that without rails

2 Likes

its steel on steel, 4 good screws it should hold it

1 Like

You’re saying the receiver should be okay with the mount kit? Here it is btw

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/925553-REG/denon_rm_r2113_rack_mount_kit.html/overview

its made for it. looks solid. Is your rack also that solid because that rack also has to hold up the wait

sutch a rack would hold it easily.

but in a rack like this it would be a terible idea

Oh gosh ya that slanted two post looks like a nightmare, I have this 4-post 25U rack:

put it nice and low

Ya its either going to be on units 11-14 or 6-9. Below that is the UPS that I’ll be getting.

the problem, there is not a definitive answer, if you look at google there are a lot of opinions. but no forumula’s no math. You have just look at the company that designed the rack ears. read revieuws. If the person designing the rack ears did his math right it should work.

1 Like

but 10 kg isn’t that huge of weight for metal

if you want a “cheap” solution Angle Iron from Lowes/Homedepot can be turned into a low cost rack rail/shelf.

Also depends largely on the ear material (steel vs Alum), length of ear (ie: for a 2U server are the screw holes spaced appropriately, etc. I’ve used some pretty crappy thin alum 1RU ears that barely hold up a 5# switch… but also used some super-beefy hardened steel ears you could stand on.

21# on a face-mount 2-hole thin alum ears I would not encourage. Thick Alum or Steel 4U ears for 21# shold be no problem.

Things I’ve done in $pastCareer, more for the OP or general community nfo:

Is there a mid-mount option that helps to balance the weight? Can you 4-post mount it? And of course the easiest thing is just to do the 2-post face mount, and support it underneath as others have suggested.

General rules apply - Ensure your Rack will NOT tip over (if you can: secure to the floor (and ceiling if feasible), Heavy goes low - not just for rack-balance, but because your back will thank you later.

1 Like

I like these rails a lot

Cisco 4507 and 6506 I had were ears only.

They’re significantly bigger. Both of those are a 2 person lift; 60 pounds plus

It’s a world of difference if most of those 10kgs are near the ears or half a meter away with leverage.

Not much point in speculating about this on weight alone.

If clearance allows I’d get a shelf just to be sure. But then again, the only thing I personally feel good about mounting with just ears is a PDU, so probably don’t listen to me.

If you look the rack mount kit, he wants to use. it looks strong enough for 10 kg