Has anyone seen this AMD announcement?

Why the strix model fans again. Those are terrible fans… Even under minimal load they have a high decibel output, probably have them on for the looks. Just had to cripple amd somehow

Well that’s good, then. That would be a hell of a thing!

I think the Epyc and Threadripper offerings are quite compelling.

Sorry, I should have specified gpu, wasnt talking cpu :smiley:

My oc’d 1700 is more than enough to do me for the next 3 years

1 Like

Given the specter and meltdown patches affecting intel to the tune of 8-9% the original 15% margin intel had has definitely shrunk. The problem for me is gaming GPU performance per $ isnt there. Perhaps the pricing will become a little more reasonable in the future but as it stands today a strix 1080 is $100+ cheaper than a strix vega 64 (im comparing strix because its what I would probably get in either model). Thats unacceptable if they intend to be competitive. In windows, and lets face it thats still where the gaming market is, the 1080 is performing more or less the same for less $$$.

Linux might be a different story altogether but thats not going to single handedly help AMD put out a competitive product.

That is due to legal reasons as a few articles mentioned (because it’s the manufacturer). Marketing etc will be just AREZ though.

Haven’t read anything about that, so can’t say. Don’t think an arbitrary agreement can go that far though, but you never know.

Because it’s a rebrand, not new models. They will carry the same models as the nvidia cards, just with a different brand. This is not crippling, they just continue to use their developments. You can’t just throw away years of R&D and pump something out in a month.

Unfortunately neither AMD’s nor Asus’ fault (considering MSRP would be right where it needs to be), that’s just how the market works.

1 Like

Why care about marketing skits?

That may be, but this ep did make it abundantly clear to HP and Dell (who have thus far stayed away) that they will get shafted by nv, which may have other consequences for nv.

Oh so it is not Asus at all really any more. it is Arez completely. Well… Asus own Arez but not in the same way the own/use Strix.

So there are Asus Strix cards for nvidia and Arez Strix cards for AMD.

Both have the same packaging only the Asus name is replaced with the Arez name.

So Arez are not Asus but Asus own them, and Strix is an nvidia brand now but Strix is now also an AMD brand too but not under the Asus name, under the Arez name which is not Asus but is owned by them and operated out of the same website…

Wow that is a branding mess but I have to give Asus HUGE props for not surrendering the Strix name but surrendering the Asus Strix name. So the AMD cards will be Arez AMD Strix cards which look identical to the Asus nvidia Strix cards but are totally not the same thing.

Okay I was annoyed they signed over their soul so quickly but this is delicious. With the AMD announcement and now nvidia’s own partners fucking them over too this is so much more fun. I hope the other companies that sold out also do this.

This must piss off nvidia no end.

2 Likes

Looks more like they traded ROG for AREZ.

Honestly I am surprised no AIB partner created a new Nvidia GPP brand lines, but they are now creating an AMD specific brands and gave the Nvidia the already popular names. Money I guess is more important than integrity…

AMD now use (and directly support) open source drivers, open source rendering technology (vulkan, tressfx, etc.), open standard for vsync (freesync).

Nvidia do none of these things.

1 Like

Yes and no. Asus didn’t give up Strix for the GPP, because Strix is just a specific model/cooler.
They gave up ROG for the GPP, which is way bigger.

Not for windows tho right? Wonder why that is.

2 Likes

Use of non-open source libraries that are part of windows?

Probably, yes. But wouldn’t they just have to find a fitting license to use closed source code with open source? Depends how they use it I guess… if it’s directly in code and not an API or something that’s probably not easily doable.

Microsoft likely prevent distribution of some of the source code they are using on the windows side, and thus the code is tainted and not able to be released. Not sure what you’re driving at here?

If you’re on windows you’re already on a closed source platform. An open source windows driver will benefit people how exactly? The rest of Windows is closed…

1 Like

Open source drivers are better received by Linux communities and receive better distribution support. Dealing with blobs is always problematic while open source drivers can be adjusted by package maintainers and recompiled for whichever kernel is used. It also opens up the possibility to get driver components mainlined into Linux/Mesa. So opening up the driver is very beneficial to AMD.

The same is not true for Windows because there is neither plethora of windows distributions to deal with nor will Microsoft include any AMD code into the windows kernel.

1 Like

Ah I thought Strix was a sub part of ROG. That clears that up.

It is … well, it was. But with the GPP “only” requiring the top level branding to be exclusive, Asus just made a second one of those.

If someone is still out of the loop on the GPP thing (which is the reason for this AMD post), I have gathered all the information on it in the first post of the topic over here.

1 Like