Has anyone seen this AMD announcement?

On Reddit u/AMDJoe just posted this.

I wonder if @wendell has any thoughts?

5 Likes

Link to the announcement on AMD’s website:

https://gaming.radeon.com/en/radeon-a-gamers-choice/

5 Likes

This is clearly AMD/Radeon firing back at nvidia and their shitty GPP. Glad to see them not let it slide

5 Likes

From the amd website

2 Likes

Very nice marketing move.
Hope it gets spread about and people start looking into the black-box that is the GPP.

1 Like

AMD are not the kind of company to take things lightly, have to give them props for going the full way with this and fighting back however much it’ll do or not.

2 Likes

Even if one were to interpret AMD’s statement as cynically as possible this is still good to see.

2 Likes

This is the obvious response-- do the exact same thing. I don’t see how it has anything to do with freedom of choice. Every AIB maker will have a Nvidia brand and an AMD brand.

Is the AMD brand technically open? Maybe, they don’t say for sure. But open to who? Matrox? S3? Rendition Verite? C’mon.

AMD still lost this battle, because Nvidia fired first and will be associated with the preexisting brands. AMD may get “Asus Gamers Aurora” or whatever but Nvidia already got Asus Republic of Gamers. That’s always been a shitty name, but Asus spent years promoting it already.

Amd got the short end of the stick but AMD is in no way pulling a nvidia. Its more like AMD and AIBs working together to try and give a middle finger to nvidia

3 Likes

Nvidia kicked AMD square in the balls. AMD squealed like a piglet, collapsed to the ground curled up in a fetal position, and gasped out “Screw you!” That’s what this is-- they already lost, but they’re doing what they can.

A bit dramatic, sure. This is just a marketing ploy on all sides. But Nvidia clearly won this particular small-stakes battle. To the extent that consumers actually care about “Asus ROG” versus “Asus”, which I’m not sure they do, anyway. I know I don’t.

3 Likes

Generally speaking AMD has won me as a customer by not pulling bullshit like the GPP.

Nvidia got there first because they are ruthless dickbags. AMD “lost” the dickbag race I guess. Doesn’t feel like a loss to me, at least in that regard. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11 Likes

FUCK YES!

I know this forums gets accused of being AMD bias, and it is largely true in the ideal, but there is a reason for that. So glad to see them stick it to nVidia, the shitbags that they are.

Now I hope I can afford what ever upgrade to the 290 i have been using for however long, whenever it comes.

1 Like

I love nvidias technology (REAL technology, not the bullshit stuff) but the more I learn about nvidia as a company the less I want anything to do with them.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

I have the money to buy either… so amd is not the ‘poor mans choice’ for me, it’s just a choice.

and as I said in another thread though…

I am one of the few people that vega actually makes sense for (as soon as prices become sane) as I have software that will use that compute to full effect (cinema4d, my hobby - primary concern) and its gaming is good enough for me (secondary concern…and state of current gaming has made this less of a concern)… so I am not a fanboy for making amd my gpu choice, it just made sense for what I do.

If pc gaming performance was my primary concern I would have a hard time choosing amd.

Depends how and what you’re playing though.

Also, didn’t Wendell mention in some video that the Vega 56 was actually pulling ahead of the 1080 in Linux?

Edit:
Also, relevant:
New AMD Asus cards called AREZ
Note also, they are going to be called just AREZ, not Asus AREZ.

1 Like

And also the fact that Nvidia is a pain in the ass on linux (Linus giving them finger etc. etc.), whereas every AMD card I´ve put in a workstation the last year or so just works due to the open source AMD drivers.

1 Like

That’s interesting-- not AREZ, but that it isn’t Asus AREZ. Does the GPP block them from selling non-Nvidia GPUs under the Asus name too? I assumed it only applied to sub-brands like ROG.

Says Asus on the box.

Why the strix model fans again. Those are terrible fans… Even under minimal load they have a high decibel output, probably have them on for the looks. Just had to cripple amd somehow

Well that’s good, then. That would be a hell of a thing!

I think the Epyc and Threadripper offerings are quite compelling.