Has anyone here tried a Dell 790 SFF with a 1050 Ti? Does the GPU perform just as well with only 35W from the PCIe slot?

Title says it all really. Looking to build a 1080p gaming system for my little sister out of an old 790 SFF I own.

Iā€™ve done it with an optiplex 3020 with no issues. I actually may have one where I work and could test that.

Looks like this guy did something similar.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the reply!

I saw the video but it is kind of hard tying to find exactly the same benchmarks with a normal system with a 1050 Ti.

Also, it seems like that your 3020 has a PCIe power limit of 50W instead of 35W (although I am not so sure) so I donā€™t want to bother you with testing that if it is not applicable.

It would be of help if you had a 1050 Ti in a ā€œnormalā€ system and did a benchmark with settings similar to the video so we could somewhat compare framerates.

Thanks again!

If I have time tomorrow I could give a crack at it.

2 Likes

That would be tremendous, but please donā€™t go out of your way to do it.

Again, many thanks!

AFAIK it shouldnā€™t make a difference how much current is pulled through the PCIe socket. The PCIe socket input and the PCIe Pin Inputs go to the same powerplane, so whatever is missing from the Socket will come from the PSU directly.

Isnā€™t the point of a x50Ti that they donā€™t have PCI-E power connectors? Breaking the PCI-E spec and not supplying the full 75 watts could be a problem. Looking at the GPU specs seems to suggest if you are actually limited to 35w it wouldnā€™t be enough, but I donā€™t know if it will just throttle or what.

1 Like

Oh, good point. Right, they donā€™t have a PCIe connectorā€¦

Then I guess even if it works, itā€™ll just throttle with not enough power :thinking:

Struck out on 790ā€™s today, maybe tomorrow.

1 Like

I have a dell 790 with a ā€˜65wā€™ CPU (i5 2500s) and a 3gb 1050.

It works fine and, so far, Iā€™ve have zero issues.

1 Like

Great thing about youtubeā€¦ā€œI wounder if anyone elseā€¦ā€

Ton of vids with people dunping a 1050ti into the optiplex line

1 Like

I mean, if its a low power one thenā€¦ should work fine?

Also donā€™t pcie slots have a standard output of 75w?

I beleive the slots are 35w max due to the 210w PSU and the potential of using 95w processors.

Providing the 790 doesnā€™t have a 95w TDP processor, I canā€™t see there being and issue. I5 2500S, I5 2400S and I7 2600s are all good options when the none S counterparts are all 95W.

Basically the none S all have a 3.0-3.2 Ghz all core turbo when the S parts are 300-500mhz lower.

Yeah but those videos donā€™t answer the question of whether the card performs as expected or not.
My question is if the card performs as well as it would in a 75W limited system or if performance is lower due to the less power available.

Some (SFF) computers have 25W PCIe power limits, others have 35W, 55W and others have the regular 75W limit. I donā€™t know if DELL somehow limits the slot to e.g. 35W regardless of the CPU or not. You could have a 65W or lower CPU but the limit could still be there if they somehow hard limit the slot regardless of configuration.

Edit: Just saw your post above.

Would you be able to run a benchmark such as 3DMark so that we could compare your cardā€™s performance to other 1050s in the 3DMark database?

According to the spec yes, but OEMs donā€™t always care for thatā€¦

1 Like

Yes, if you want benchmarks, Iā€™m happy to help.

Note my card is one of the weird 96bit 3gb 1050s.

In terms of perf, I can confirm itā€™s about 30-70% ā€˜fasterā€™ than the 750ti I had before it. I only upgraded as forza horizon4 kept complaining about vram :stuck_out_tongue: