Has anyone hacked the nvidia drivers to work with freesync yet?

With the new video out on the channel, it made me wonder if anyone has done it. Because Vega isn’t worth but that monitor looks great. I imagine it’s possible since mobile gsync doesn’t have a “gsync chip”.

I would love to know if this is possible! I won an ultrawide 1440p monitor from Hardware Canucks and I got a 1070 to power it… but it is a freesync monitor haha

I remember someone did it way back when the tech was new just hacked the driver to make it think it was a laptop. I believe they’ve since made it much harder to hack and haven’t heard about anyone doing it recently.

Yes, a certain someone here did it a couple years ago, but I think there was some kickback from nvidia, so it blew away with the wind… But it’s definitely possible, at least in 1st gen g-sync.

Remember, Freesync is PART of the Displayport VESA standard as an open standard, so Nvidia is only choosing not to enable that part of the standard for use with it’s cards.

You can still run a monitor at 144hz fixed refresh rate with screen tearing, and objectively, it won’t be too bad until you dip below 60hz.

Also, turn off Freesync for consoles. 30hz refresh is painful on the eyes and most games lock to that refresh rate.

To my knowledge, consoles neither support freesync, nor have DP output (typically HDMI), unless that is a recent development. They output 60hz regardless of frame rate.

That said, you may be thinking of “ULMB” strobing for high refresh monitors, which can be turned on for consoles. It’s not a great idea, as it gets noticeable with a low refresh, so 30/60hz material can get choppy and visibly pulsate.

I think the new Xbox One X is FreeSync capable and you can do FreeSync over HDMI now

3 Likes

That would be good for the PC master race as I would like a decent TV with freesync on my PC.

I find it absolutely diabolical that Nvidia has decided to exclude FreeSync support for something that would actually benefit everyone since it would allow their customers to chose any monitor to pair with a Nvidia GPU. It’s yet another example of a company trying to extract more profits by locking in the customer base.

Currently you need a Gsync Monitor which includes exclusively Nvidia licensed tech to work with Nvidia GPU’s(no freesync+gsync dual monitors). Gsync monitors are also expensive due to Nvidia getting money out of that.

Yes, but you don’t want to run a Freesync monitor in that mode to a One X considering most console titles are locked at 30fps, which means a 30hz refresh rate… and that makes the monitor flicker.

1 Like

Yes but do you know how you can slide the range around when editing the “config/bios” of the chip. They could implement a Console mode 25-60 and PC mode 45-95 or something. Not to mention the crazy range of the new pixio 60-144 or something like that?