Has anyone got skype to work with elementary os?

i like elemntary os its just idk how to get Skype working

It should work without much problems, elementary os is pretty old as to kernel and most packages, maybe ddg.gg install skype on ubuntu 12.04 !g and do what canonical proposes to install skype.

I do have to say that it's probably a bad idea to install skype from the skype website, you should really use the repos as with everything. (You might want to enable the non-free repos to find skype in your software center, as skype is not open source.) Skype is 32-bit only, so when you script-install the package from the skype website, it will often not resolve the 32-bit libs and deps you need to run it on a normal 64-bit system. This is not an issue when you install from the repos, because their the correct libs and deps will be installed along with it.

The same goes for binary drivers. If you install them directly from the packages provided by nVidia or AMD, expect a world of hurt. You should only install from the official repos of your distro or from repos that are officially recognized by the devs of your distro.

If you can't find it in your distro's repos, you can always use the SuSE Build Service to get packages for your distro. For elementary, that would be some version of Ubuntu, probably 12.04 or even older. SuSE then takes the RPM package from it's own trusted repos, and translates it to a .DEB package with a build file that suits your distro and you can then load that repackaged version down and script-install it, which will correctly resolve and build.

ive noticed that with elementary os one the reasons i wanted to switch was stability for minecraft i haven't had minecraft crash in that os but in linux mint and ubuntu yes all the time so idk

For any 64bit OS you will need to install the compatibility layer for 32 bit. That's not much of an issue. just run in the terminal (root).

"apt-get install ia32-libs" "dpkg --add-architecture i386" and then "apt-get update" and "apt-get -f install". Then run this to install Skype: "dpkg -i name_of_the_package.deb" (since you are using Elementary OS which is Ubuntu based which is Debian based). Anyways if you want to get a rock stable OS you shoud try with Debian IMHO

Skype needs more I think looking at the script in Fedora Utils. I don't know in Ubuntu.

Minecraft isn't the most stable application, and the more bleeding edge your distro, the more chance that it will have the latest JRE, which gives you the most chance that minecraft will run as it should.

Try Minetest, it's not coded in java, but rather in C++, is open source, and works super fast, and there is an abundance of mods and texture packs available.

Jitsi, anyone?

More like shitsi.

well i kinda after hearing and looking into this im going to go with manjaro and download the Java script from their\ website and stuff

Manjaro has Skype in the repos, it might even be pre-installed.

Manjaro is a very good choice, it's just a modern no-nonsense distro that's very user friendly on a realistic and practical level. It's GNU/Linux without the politics, which can be nice.

Only install software from official repos in linux, or in Manjaro also from the AUR if you have checked the code yourself or have good feedback from reliable people that have checked the code. Never ever install software in linux from a site like Oracle, nVidia, AMD, Adobe, Microsoft/Skype, etc... their software will also be in the official repos and that's much more trustworthy and won't break your system.

where could i get these programs then i need amd drivers and skype is thier a software center?

Read the wiki on their website.

After installation of Manjaro on your PC (I recommend the Assisted CLI Installer, that is fastest and most clear, the default is the GUI Installer ported from Mint, but that's not half as stable and fast, and it's just not as clear and simple, even though it looks better), you have to use mhwd to install the driver of your choice, which is available through the official Manjaro repos. Skype is also available through the official Manjaro repos, the Manjaro "Software Center" is called Pamac, and you'll find it in the application menu under "Add/Remove Software", then search for skype. The package manager is Arch's pacman, so you can also install skype with "sudo pacman -S skype" in terminal if you want to keep it simple and fast.

In general, if you can't install it with "sudo pacman -S", or if it's not in the standard repos, and you don't understand what "yaourt -S" does yet, stick to whatever shows up in pamac ("Add/Remove Software"), there is more than enough there for just about anything.

Don't think Windows, think computers: in Windows, you need to download drivers and software from all over the place, but you never know if it's going to work, if it's going to cost money, if it's going to be full of malware, etc..., but with serious operating systems like linux, that is not the case: all safe to use trusted software for 99% of all use cases is in the official repos of the distro, and there are advanced options to safely install other software from trusted sources to satisfy even the wildest needs of those 1% remaining use cases, or to compile software from source, which is extremely easy to do in linux because all the necessary development tools are always included.

I am running manjaro on my laptop and it is pretty easy to make it sort of look like eOS. There is also a group of people working to port pantheon DE to arch so when that happens you can make your own manjaro/elementary OS type thing.

Yup, XFCE rules in terms of easy customizing, and Manjaro's decision to integrate the Whisker Menu makes it very efficient. Also, most major DE's are well integrated by community builds, so every taste in DE is catered for.

Everything people from this forum interested in linux need to know about Manjaro is here, this is highly recommended to listen to:

http://manjaro.org/2013/09/21/frostcast-interview-with-philip-muller/#

I personally think Manjaro is the best way to start with linux for beginners, and it's very suitable for advanced users also. I would use Manjaro as daily driver for work if it had enterprise grade features like SELinux, and I recompiled a few kernels to integrate it, but with the latest kernels and all the problems from things like nVidia and virtualbox kernel manure, that's just an assignment more than a casual thing, otherwise I would switch to Manjaro on all my PCs, and just keep RHEL/CentOS on my servers and Fedora Rawhide on a testing system. But Manjaro is for now mostly focused on standalone PC use, and it has all the features necessary for that kind of use. Maybe in the future (they're at version 0.8.8 now, so they have enough time to get to version 1.0), some more enterprise features will be added, I would really fancy that.

The problem with Gnome and KDE is that they are migrating to Wayland, which is nice, but also causes a lot of disparity. XFCE stays on X11 until everything is stable enough to migrate, which means that everything still works and no features are sacrificed. Sometimes I get annoyed by Gnome, which is now de facto a RedHat project, it's nice, especially with the very good seahorse integration for a lot of services and the really good looking graphics and fonts, but sometimes there are disappearing features (especially nautilus is lacking some practical features now). KDE has been great in integrating the latest technologies, but the interface is pretty ancient now, it's very heavy, and some crazy bugs are just never fixed, which is pretty crazy. The newer Wayland-based DE's like Hawaii are also cool, and RedHat is also all over that, but these are far from usable as a daily driver right now. In the mean time, XFCE is just a crazy good mature DE with all the features a user needs, and lightweight enough for performance, even on slower systems.

On the other hand, linux users are spoiled, well, not Ubuntu+Unity or Mint+Cinnamon users necessarily, because these are still pretty bloated and sluggish, but almost every linux distro out there, with pretty much every DE out there, is many times faster than Windows. Many new users also install linux on a small partition at the outside rim of their HDD, or in a virtualbox, which doesn't do linux any justice at all, and still it's faster than windows. Users that give their linux install the proper chance to prove itself, by installing it in an ample partition close to the middle of the HDD, like one would with a fresh windows install, and that really use it, are always shocked when they switch to windows afterwards by the sluggish response and long wait times of windows, and the endless quantities of crap to put up with in windows.

i like manjaro its the fact i cannot get minecraft to work inside itÂ