Hardware Unboxed - i7 7800x vs r5 1600 comparison

damn intel... this cpu just makes no sense at its current price

2 Likes

Intel's product stack is falling apart. They don't know how to adapt it's been too long since theyve had competition. The part that impressed me the most is how close the 4 ghz 1600 is to the 4.7 7800x, granted that's probably thanks to Ryzen liking fast memory but still.. Damn... It's like why even bother Intel?

4 Likes

The X299 platform is a real disaster for Intel. AMD is beating the whole product stack, top to bottom.

2 Likes

It's honestly strange how poor the 7800X performs. Even compared to its other Skylake siblings. It shouldn't be as bad as it is in games....

Purely speculating here, but perhaps the disabled cores increase the latency of the new mesh network? That coupled with the really small amount of L3, especially per core, seem to really hurt it in games.

BTW this happened to Steve after the 4.7Ghz run. Burnt pin and pad....

I believe @wendell mentioned he saw something similar

Prob as a result of this power consumption lol

Averages for those who don't wanna watch the video

1 Like

Yeah, been so long it's kind of strange to see AMD have an IPC lead, now if only their fab process would enable higher OC's. Still I've seen a lot of comments from people who think intel has the IPC lead because they don't really know what it is. intel has still a lead in single core performance thanks to higher clock speeds/OC potential but architecturally AMD's done good.

Interesting results in the video from HW unboxed.
The R5-1600 has a very good showing in this video.

Why do they show a b350 board in the video yet use Taichi 370 numbers?

Well i dont really think that it would matter all that much.
I guess that B350 board was just an example.

But never the less, allthough the vrm implementation on pretty much all B350 boards is pretty poor.
Still for an R5 cpu, it should be okay.
Allthough i would personally recommend if you want to get the best overclocking performance out of it.
That it would make sense to just buy a X370 board anyways.
Atleast for a 1600 or 1600X that is.

because 'b-roll'. :joy: